Why setting WPA3-Personal as security mode sets router in WEP secmode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-08-20 15:56:40 - last edited 2024-08-21 03:33:38
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20240123 rel.24345(4555)

I tough this model has WPA3 but i was really suprised when i set up this today and beside that evrywhere on the box, distributor page and even in settings its't described as WPA3 it tuns out to be WEP. I would apprciate if someone can explain me this or maybe i set up something wrong?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Why setting WPA3-Personal as security mode sets router in WEP secmode?
2024-08-20 20:34:35 - last edited 2024-08-21 03:33:38

@Jaszak 

Hi,

The WPA3 standard was released in the year 2018, while that "TP-LINK Wireless Configuration Utility" you show in the second screenshot is likely a decade old.

Therefore it cannot know what WPA3 is and as a result apparently mistakes it for WEP.

Besides, what version of Windows are you running on your computer and does your wireless network card support WPA3?

Options
Re:Why setting WPA3-Personal as security mode sets router in WEP secmode?
2024-08-21 03:32:35

@woozle

Hi thanks for reply.

It's as you said, my old tool see WPA3 as WEP.

I was confused at first cause my phone (that as i know now doesn't support WEP3) doesn't detect network at all (i mean probably detected it but just don't display it) and then i check with this old tool that apparently shows unknown security protocols as WEP. After check with newer software network appears with security set to WPA3.

For now everything works fine after i switch mode to WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES]

Thanks for putting my thoughts on the right track.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 116

Replies: 2

Related Articles