Votes

Force order of mesh devices.

2024-08-21 23:13:42 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco X80  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

In my situatiobn, I have 3x Decos. I had two but the reception between them wasn't great. I added a new one in the middel but they are both connecting to the main unit. I would rather the closest deco connect to the main unit and the last unit to connect to the second one. I.e. daisy chain rather than hub and spoke. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Force order of mesh devices. -Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@David-TP as I've said in previous posts, the option mentioned in your link doesn't exist in my app. It might be because my x20s are old (v1.2). I fixed it by removing the furthest away access point from the network (which caused a factory reset) and adding it back to the mesh network. When I did this it connected to the 2nd access point (the closed one to it) and not the base station.

Also, it's a shame that "network optimization" didn't do this process automatically.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Force order of mesh devices.
2024-08-22 03:31:12

@DrChops 

Hi, Are all three Deco units Deco X80?

If yes, with the latest firmware of Deco X80, you could manually set the connection preference:

How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Thank you very much and best reagrds.

Options
2024-08-22 06:07:39

@David-TP  thanks for your reply. The main device is an x80 and the other two are x20. 

Options
2024-08-22 09:50:08

@DrChops 

Hi, how about the firmware version of the Deco X20? Some versions of Deco X20 also support this feature.

Compared with the daisy chain topology(main---satellite #1---satellite#2), the star topology(main---satellite #1 / satellite 2) could provide a better wireless speed for satellite Deco. Due to the working pattern and protocol/regulation of Wi-Fi technology, the more wireless hops, the slower the speed would be. (Why does the satellite Deco still keep selecting the main Deco as a signal source instead of another satellite Deco?)

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-08-22 09:58:36 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@David-TP thanks for the reply. I do have the andrid version of the app. Version 3.7.83. X20 has 1.5.3 Build 20231227 Rel. 62097 and the x80 has 1.2.1 Build 20231225 Rel. 51625

There is no "connection preferences" option in my deco app. BTW

Options
Re:Force order of mesh devices. -Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@David-TP as I've said in previous posts, the option mentioned in your link doesn't exist in my app. It might be because my x20s are old (v1.2). I fixed it by removing the furthest away access point from the network (which caused a factory reset) and adding it back to the mesh network. When I did this it connected to the 2nd access point (the closed one to it) and not the base station.

Also, it's a shame that "network optimization" didn't do this process automatically.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 173

Replies: 5

Voters 1