Archer C7 5Ghz Problem - REQUIRES FIXING ASAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 5Ghz Problem - REQUIRES FIXING ASAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
171 Reply
Re:Archer C7 5Ghz Problem - REQUIRES FIXING ASAP
2013-12-27 21:52:02
So I've gotten a response to my ticket:

[quote]Sincerely sorry about inconvenience caused. We have received several similar cases. Both our technicians and R&D engineers are analyzing this case in high priority, we are trying to find the root cause reason and a solution ASAP. We will give you a satisfactory answer whether we find the solution or not. We really appreciate your understanding and patience.

Best Regards ![/quote]
Options
2013-12-27 22:48:07
"We really appreciate your understanding and patience."

I say NO !
As I've been waiting for years, I'm no more patient or indulgent with TP-Link R&D engineers !
They are taking the customers for a ride...
Options
2013-12-28 03:46:04

HiSpeed wrote

"We really appreciate your understanding and patience."

I say NO !
As I've been waiting for years, I'm no more patient or indulgent with TP-Link R&D engineers !
They are taking the customers for a ride...

I got lucky, my retailer was kind enough to take the router back even though I was past the 30 days for 2 reasons:

1. It was a Christmas gift and wasn't opened until the 25th
2. It is a known issue that thanks to the above email I quoted from TP-Link, won't be resolved any time soon, if ever

I can't wait around for a fix that may never even happen. I found an Asus RT-AC66U on sale for $190 CDN and returned the TP-Link and bought the Asus. Brought the Asus home, had it setup in minutes and am up and running without issues.

I've been a long-time user of TP-Link, but the lack of support or answers to this issue has changed that. They should be issuing a mass recall. I won't be buying another TP-Link product ever again.
Options
2014-01-01 13:58:40
I am also having an issue with my two MacBook Airs and the Archer C7.

I worked out that if I specify a channel my Mac seems a lot more happier.

I found this link which is old but I thought it may still be related.
http://jeff-with-a-g.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/5ghz-wifi-on-your-mac-got-you-down.html

This issue may have been fixed, but setting a channel made my 5ghz lots more stable. It seems that if a neighbour is running on the wrong country zone, if the mac sees that one first, it will then limit the scan range to that country. Eg the AP could switch to a channel that is not available in the country the mac detects and is unable to find it.

This fixed a lot of issues anyway. I was then able to stream music for hours with no dropouts.

However I still have an issue where sometimes if the mac goes to sleep then woken, it will appear connected to wifi, but I will get no data.
Sometimes I can even access the Archer C7 config page, but I am unable to get any internet data. To fix this issue, I have to turn the wifi off and on, or switch to a different AP then switch back.

I contacted TP-Link, they replied with this detail.

we can adjust some wireless settings first on the router itself.
please login its web management page and try settings below.
1. Go to wireless 2.4G—wireless settings: change the SSID(wireless network name) to a different one; change the channel to 11 or 6; change the channel width to 20Mhz. Then click on save.
2. Go to wireless2.4G—wireless security---choose wpa-psk/wpa2-psk( wpa/wpa2-personal), version and encryption are both automatic. Psk password is your wireless password. You can input any number or letter you like. Then click on save.
3. Go to wireless 2.4G—wireless advanced---uncheck enable WMM. Then click on save.
4. Go to wireless 2.4G---QSS(WPS)—disable qss/wps.
5. Go to system tools—reboot—click on reboot.

it takes weeks or even months to finish all the test and certification of a new firmware.
if you can not wait and just want the refund, please contact the shop and negotiate with them.

I tested these options, and also made similar changes to 5g, they made the connection stable, but it limited the connection type.
On 2.4g I was only connecting using 802.11g
On 5g I was connecting on 802.11a

Both speeds were limited to a max of 54mb. So this "fix" seems pointless and hides the real issue.
Options
2014-01-03 08:04:29
I had a similar issue with their MR3020... but with 2.4ghz. When the Wireless Region was set to United States, my iPad could not connect. Setting it to Canada fixed the issue.

I emailed TP-Link and they acknowledged my e-mail... but never did see a firmware fix.

Don't know if this will fix the 5ghz issue but maybe wroth a try.
Options
2014-01-05 01:56:47
I have this exact same issue with my Archer C7. The 5GHz doesn't work with WPA2 encryption enabled, as tested with my Macbook Retina and my Nexus 5. The link speed usually max's around 54Mbit/s, but that doesn't matter because the connection doesn't work for the internet anyways.

If I disable encryption and use mac address whitelisting I can get the full 1Gbit/s, but this is horribly insecure, as I was seeing unknown devices on my network after I tried this method, and additionally this means that anyone can snoop my traffic anyways.

When I contacted support they told me to try and return the router, except the store I bought it from charges a hefty restocking fee, and I'm past the return period anyways. I really hope that TP-link can get a firmware release out for this router. Right now I really regret not spending the extra $50 and buying the Asus RT-AC66U, it seems to have none of the problems that this TP-link has.
Options
802.11d is the problem?
2014-01-07 10:46:56
I have the exact same problem where all of my Apple devices seem to drop connection once in a while. Has anyone tried this: http://jeff-with-a-g.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/5ghz-wifi-on-your-mac-got-you-down.html
Options
2014-01-08 10:09:08
Looks to be a beta firmware available here, (ArcherC7v1_130812_beta.bin):

http://www.timothyhoogland.com/2013/12/tp-link-archer-c7-follow-up-new-firmware/

I installed it, loads up fine, have not been able to test link stability.
Options
2014-01-08 11:51:06

coolspot wrote

Looks to be a beta firmware available here, (ArcherC7v1_130812_beta.bin):

http://www.timothyhoogland.com/2013/12/tp-link-archer-c7-follow-up-new-firmware/

I installed it, loads up fine, have not been able to test link stability.

I have the following beta and it seems to work fine for the last week.

Firmware Version: 3.13.34 Build 131231 Rel.54959n
Options
2014-01-08 23:41:29

hippopotamus wrote

I have the following beta and it seems to work fine for the last week.

Firmware Version: 3.13.34 Build 131231 Rel.54959n

Do you have a link to this firmware? I'm on build 130812 and my 5GHz connection still has issues.
Options