TP-Link Devices not showing in Powerline Utility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-16 12:15:55
Region : United Kingdom

Model : TL-PA411KIT

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 500A-1.0.0.337-01-20120309-FINAL

ISP : Plusnet

Hi All, Newb here,

Just purchased 2x TL-PA411 Kits which are connected as follows:

Plug 01: Attached to Plusnet Router,

Plug 02: Attached to Desktop PC,

Plug 03: Attached to WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

Plug 04: Spare

All appear to be working and communicating with each other but having installed the Powerline Utility I can only see two devices attached under the Network Tab?! One of which is showing 227 Mbps whilst the other is showing 11 Mbps! I have tried manually adding the third device which is connected to my desktop PC but when it does the search all three devices disappear! This is very confusing for a first time user, so much for 'plug and play'!

I don't know if this relevant but under the Status Tab - Network Name it says "Unknown". I did try changing it to something more memorable but then I could no longer connect to the internet and had to reset the device to get it working again.

Additionally I have noticed that none of the units enter sleep mode which would be useful if I can get it to work somehow.

Hopefully someone has experienced these issues and can advise, fingers crossed!

Slinky

***UPDATE***

Thanks to Detective Dee in this post most of the above questions have now been solved: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?74797-PowerLine-utility-only-lists-one-device&region=china

All I need to do now is find out why my devices don't sleep. Could they be insomniacs like me?
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link Devices not showing in Powerline Utility
2014-01-16 16:57:37

MK_Slinky wrote

All I need to do now is find out why my devices don't sleep. Could they be insomniacs like me?

Shut down your PC, and the ethernet light on 411 will be OFF. After 5 minutes, it will go to sleep, all lights will be OFF.

If the ethernet light not OFF, there is no sleep.......
Options
2014-01-16 17:57:31
Why 11Mbps?

Because there's no data transfering , the speed detected was not precise.
Options
2014-01-17 00:11:46

Detective Dee wrote

Shut down your PC, and the ethernet light on 411 will be OFF. After 5 minutes, it will go to sleep, all lights will be OFF.

If the ethernet light not OFF, there is no sleep.......

Hey Dee,

Thanks for your valuable insight, if only you had written the User Manual! :rolleyes:

So basically speaking, all TP devices are dependant on the main one which is connected to my PC, i.e. PC not off.., all other devices remain awake? I guess I can see the logic behind that but given that many people do not switch their PC's off or only allow them to sleep it makes a bit of a mockery of the power save feature. :(

Thanks also for explaining the Mbps issue also, after re-reading the manual that bit did become clearer. :)

All the best

Slinky
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 918

Replies: 3

Related Articles