TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
96 Reply
Re:TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range
2014-08-29 23:34:23
There may be something in this. I moved the IP address of the WPA4220 out of the router's DHCP range and haven't seen the problem recur. I'm leaving it for a few days longer to see if it continues to work, but it's very encouraging.
Options
2014-08-30 06:25:02
Update: no - sadly this hasn't helped. A couple of hours after posting the above I started seeing the same problem again. A DHCP lease renewed to a 169.x.x.x address and corresponding lack of connectivity until I assigned a static IP. Good suggestion but it doesn't resolve the issue.
Options
2014-08-31 01:33:27

Garwoofoo wrote

Update: no - sadly this hasn't helped. A couple of hours after posting the above I started seeing the same problem again. A DHCP lease renewed to a 169.x.x.x address and corresponding lack of connectivity until I assigned a static IP. Good suggestion but it doesn't resolve the issue.

I remember reading something to the tune of "DHCP is disabled by default so you must change the IP of the WPA4220. " So maybe it turns on DHCP behind the scenes if you change the IP, and the DHCP conflicts with your main router's DHCP. Thus maybe it truly only works if you keep the IP at 192.168.1.1. Not sure if anyone can confirm any of this.
Options
2014-09-01 21:09:54
A couple of hours after posting the above I started seeing the same problem again

Options
I am facing the same problem. Any solutions?
2014-09-11 00:21:20

xiaonvren wrote

A couple of hours after posting the above I started seeing the same problem again

I am facing the same problem. Any solutions?
Options
Seeing same behaviour...
2014-09-13 15:33:16

Vanwegen wrote

I've got exactly the same issues with this kit. Tried two of them, in two different networks.
After some weird behaviour during setup, I configured the 4220 as a second AP in my network.

Setup runs fine for less than a day, after that clients connection through wifi stop receiving IP adresses. With a fixed IP or when connecting with a cable everything works as it should

latest firmware is installed. Now in contact with TP-link support to resolve the issue.

This is exactly the behaviour I'm seeing. Setting a static IP is a partial workaround but some devices,like my google Chromecast, don't have this option. I've now put my TP-Link on a mains timer switch to reboot it twice daily but this is a) a nasty kludge b) still not always resolving the problem. I'm very much hoping TP-Link address this with a firmware fix.

Ed
Options
Same thing
2014-10-16 03:35:51
I purchased the 422 kit for my father so he could use a chromecast. I set it up to clone his WiFi and it was working great when i left. The next day he tried to use it and he had no connection to the chromecast. I suspect the same thing others have experienced is happening here - DHCP traffic issues. I am going to use his router's MAC Address IP Reservation to set static IP's to everything in his house and see if that corrects the issue. Researching this seems to turn up quite a few customers who have the exact same problem since nearly a year ago. How has TP-Link not addressed this yet??? I tried calling their tech support, but they make you PRESS #1 EVERY 20 SECONDS OR THEY DISCONNECT YOU!!! That became so unbelievably frustrating and I never made it through because i got distracted and didn't press #1 in time. Anyone find a proper solution?
Options
2014-10-16 11:39:32
We have tested TL-WPA4220 many and many times, and I can promise you that there is no such problem on TL-WPA4220.
Any device which is connected to TL-WPA4220 will obtain IP address from the main router directly, and TL-WPA4220 is just like invisible between your device and the main router.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused to you.
If you feel this problem truly exists, you can apply for warranty as maybe there is something wrong with your product.
Options
2014-10-17 01:54:28
That's surely incorrect though. Many of us here are having exactly the same problem and I can repeat it reliably with my WPA4220. Can I assist you with your testing in some way if you are unable to replicate this? It may be dependent on specific setups or routers but I can assure you that this problem does exist.
Options
sigh
2014-11-09 08:18:12
Exactly the same problem. I had it working for about 3 months fine but had to reset my router to factory settings for another unrelated issue.

Went through the set up procedures with the powerline and all hell broke loose.

AV500 keeps reassigning itself a new IP and has a limited connection. No internet connection either.

newest firmware as well.

expensive waste of money to have it die after 3 months of use. should never have gone against my gut and purchased tp link.
Options
Related Articles