TL-WA701ND and connection status to android/and/or/laptop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-30 18:50:29
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA801ND

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : virgin media

Howdy folks, I have an andoid phone and a laptop that very occasionally have a struggle connecting to my AP - If I restart it, it's often fine, but this is a pain as it's in a locked room in the house.
Is there anything I could check logging into its settings to make sure I haven't set up wrong? My android has the grey/blue indicators that are grey when they're notr reachinbg googles servers apparently and the laptops running linux mint 16 - I have an older netgear router out in the shed that I use as a cabled extender/wioreless repeater FWIW.

Any suggestions on things to check or try would be appreciated.

TIA - Dave
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA701ND and connection status to android/and/or/laptop
2014-05-01 01:24:07
Hi and thanks for the reply - I need to alter the thread title I think, it's a TL-WA801ND according to the details when I log in, it's pretty new, my mistake.

Firmware version: 3.13.30 Build 130121 Rel.69318n

HW: WA801N v2 00000000

Mode 11bgn mixed

Channel Width: Automatic

Never adjusted a channel width before, will that effect its range or be of a concern in any way?

Thank you
Options
2014-05-08 07:09:17
Pardon me, I thought this was a help forum where you could ask questions without being patronised, I asked if it was a concern because I assumed (wrongly) you were an intelligent poster.
I'm asking because I do not know the difference between the settings and what effect they have. Blindly accepting what someone suggests on the internet is not always the clever course of action, ergo, it makes sense to gather as much information before jumping in with both feet and potentially fudging the lot up due to not having found out WHAT effect making certain changes may have. If you don't explain why I should make a change, why should I assume you know what you're talking about?

May I suggest for future reference that sarcasm doesn't cut it in place of knowledge and wit if you're not prepared to actually help and add to the thread, if the posters here aren't asking questions you like, just don't bother replying . . . . . .
Options
2014-05-14 02:22:27
Update: Just updated the firmware after much searching for ideas as the situation has not improved as yet . . . . . . . I have downloaded and updated today so I'm updating my post and will give it a day or two and see if it has improved - although anything that doesn't involve rebooting it every 24 hours or less is a bonus!

For others reference and looking at similar posts about these AP's it appears updating firmware should have been the first thing to try, not the last, so for the benefit of others, checking that would seem more of a priority than anything else . . . . . . Why this isn't suggested in the manual or highlighted as one of the most important things to do after buying it is beyond me, doesn't give a good account of the products really and I've never had this mither with netgear and wish I hadn't strayed from what I knew :|

FTR I've left it at most of the default settings for now, so, back to Mode: 11 bgn mixed and channel width to auto, Ive just changed the channel number to 6 to match the superhub router. I'll see how it pans out on these settings first before doing anything else . . . . . .
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 3