Connecting via iPad and through a captive portal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-05-08 05:28:40
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm trying to sort this for my uncle. He uses an iPad to connect to a Wifi Hotzone. This consists of numerous access points all using the same SSID but using an app I can see which BSSID/MAC adress he connects to and 9/10 it connects to the nearest access point which is faulty somehow and gives like 0.01Mbps consistently and disconnects all the time. I don't know why this is and it's not in my control to fix it but i've found there other access points in range but a bit further away with great speed, over 15mbps. I have not found a solution in iOS to either manually connect to BSSIDs or to blacklist certain MAC addresses, it will always try to connect to the cloest one however I figured I could do it with this TL-WR702N.
Surely enough using the survey button I managed to detect, list and select several of the access points but I cannot get it working beyond this. I am not a networking expert like some of you guys :) I only have basic computer knowledge although I can follow instructions. Part of the problem may be that the wifi has a captive portal where he is required to log in, i'm not sure which mode is best to enable this to work.

I've tried in repeater, bridge and client mode although i'm not even sure which one i'm supposed to use. He doesn't have a laptop so ideally a solution with just the iPad and the router. I've done quick setups in each mode and after rebooting it just remains in default AP mode. I've also tried changing the WDS mode from Auto to 3DR or something? DCHP? is assigning a static IP to the router necessary? Or is changing the iPads IP necessary as i've seen people saying this be done on windows. I really don't understand so if anyone could provide me with some simple instructions I would appreciate it.

thank you in advance :cool:
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 399

Replies: 0

Related Articles