Wake on Lan with 3G router + 3G modem...possible ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wake on Lan with 3G router + 3G modem...possible ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Wake on Lan with 3G router + 3G modem...possible ?
2014-09-14 14:57:25

paulobao wrote

Done :-)

I needed to update the firmware!!!
Ok, the DDNS is working now, after the fw update!

But the WoL it is not working :-(.
I could not WoL my computer after the shutdown!

What do you think could it be? Firewall...? Any settings in the router?

Thanks.

Do you check all points i announced on post #5 ?
Options
2014-09-14 15:20:49
Yes Hasafly!

1. Make sure WOL is enable on your laptop bios (Yes! I could wol this laptop with another laptop connected to the router)
2. Make sure your laptop is wire connected to MR3420 (Yes! It is wire connected)
3. Forward port 7 and port 9 in UDP protocol to your laptop computer's IP.(Yes! I configured a static IP for the laptop and then forwarded port 7 and 9 to that IP)
4. Make sure you have on router configuration on "IP & MAC Binding", your laptop IP/MAC binded. (Yes! The static IP I configured for the laptop is bound to the laptop MAC)
5. Finally use any WOL app, and configure it to your dns, mac, and port (7 or 9) and voilá!! (Yes! I have a no-ip domain and host and it is working now after the firmware update! I used various WOL apps with no results!)

Could it be because I'm using a 3G modem and not a 4G one?

I'm telling you this because I inquired the TP-Link support staff and the last answer from them was:

"According to the ip address showing under 3G, it is a private one not public one which means you have two NATs in this network. this is decided by your isp not our router. as i have mentioned before, in order to WOL via internet, we need to open port for your laptop. since there are have two NATS in this network, so we have to open two ports. open port for laptop on router and open port for our router on 3G modem. however, your modem is 3G modem, it means you can't open port on this 3G modem.
In conclusion, you can not WOL via internet because of your isp give you a private ip address."

Could it be the cause or this make no sense?

Regards.
Options
2014-09-14 17:24:28
Hi, doesn't make sense to me.

Let's try step by step.

Try to wake up laptop in wol but in your local network. Forget the router and the ddns for now.

Can you wake up the laptop in your local network?
Options
2014-09-14 18:23:12
Hi hasafly,

Unfortunatelly I'm 250 km away from the laptop! It is in a remote location and I use TeamViewer to access it and make all the configs! My parents lives there but they don't know nothing about!

When I was there 5 days ago, I could wake the laptop! What I did was: connect the wol laptop to the router and then connect another laptop to the router (all wired). Then I shutdown the wol laptop and using a win wol software int the other laptop I sent a wol comand to the wol laptop (that was off) and...voilá! The wol laptop waked! I did that to know if my laptop/router was well configured and to know if my laptop was wol capable (because some folks told me I could not only from a sleep state!!!!)

What your advice?

Regards.
Options
2014-09-14 18:51:34
Yes, wol only works on shutdown and nit on sleep mode.

Well as you are far away from laptop, there's not much to do.

Hope you can get it to work when you'll be near laptop!!

Regards
Options
2014-09-14 20:41:11
Thanks for all the help!

I will be there soon! Then I will try to reach you again to find your precious help!

Yes, but apparentelly everything is well configured!
I'm going to write all the configs and try to understand why this are not working for me!

Regards.
Options
2014-09-18 05:52:28

hasafly wrote

Hi, doesn't make sense to me.

Let's try step by step.

Try to wake up laptop in wol but in your local network. Forget the router and the ddns for now.

Can you wake up the laptop in your local network?

Hi hasafly,

I'm at my remote laptop location now!
Connected another laptop to the router with a Lan cable and no problem waking the remote laptop via WoL command!

But after disconnecting the LAN cable from the router (the one that goes from the router to the other laptop not the one that goes to the remote laptop), and with internet connection, I could not WoL the remote!

Help?

Cheers,
paulo
Options