TL-WN781ND - Net drop issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-29 05:19:55
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WN781ND

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello.

I had a custom PC built for me and for almost a year now it has been performing adequately with its installed 150Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter.
I have been gaming, streaming, downloading and hosting with it on various routers from the home router to university accommodation.

However I am starting to run into problems, as on odd occasions I seem to drop internet connection randomly.

It will at first slow down, perhaps stop, then recover after a brief period to let me continue what I was doing. Sometimes it'll disconnect from the access point completely.
This seems to happen at anytime, but will occur more often when I begin to stress it. For example if I were to start playing games online I would start to lag or lose connection entirely. If I were to run a download and a video at the same time, the video would pause, the page would stop loading, and you would see the download speed dropping from mb/s to kb/s almost until it hit 0.

- - -
Now, I didn't have these problems at home, or in the accommodation, but only when I moved into my new flat this year.
At first I suspected it was their routers, and they even have technicians looking at it, but lately my computer has been completely dropping connection to the point where I cannot reconnect.

The signal is still there. Devices like the Ipod can still browse the internet, but my wireless card can't seem to find them.
One or two rare times it suddenly was disabled/unavailable/wouldn't connect, even when I had turned off the option to let the computer disable it for power management.
I had to restart in order for it to reconnect to give me internet again!

Anyone else have similar problems? / Have ideas to solutions if it is really me?
I'm looking into buying one of those 'newer' cards, probably off amazon, but I've tried reinstalling it from the device menu and getting new drivers off the page: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN781ND
My computer is Win7 x64

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WN781ND - Net drop issues
2014-10-29 10:35:25
Try chipmaker's driver. Download the one for Atheros AR9485 and update it manually. :)
https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
Options
2014-10-29 21:27:46
Alright then, I'll give that a shot. I heard some users sorted out TP-link issues with third party software.
I'm downloading 64bit INF file (netathrx.inf) from Atheros driver version 10.0.0.297 [635 KB] now.

Edit:
Alright, its turned the name to Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter and it seems to have worked.
The TP-link Utility seems to like it too.
I'll keep an eye on it and update on any progress, as well as keep the original TP-Link V2 driver just in case.
Thank you.
Options
2014-10-30 20:38:47
Alright! Thank you again.

For the most part any cutting-out issues seem to have stopped. I no longer have problems where I need to restart/reinstall the card in order to reconnect.
After speaking with accommodation admins they're apparently looking into their routers too, so its a rare coincidence where it was both my and the student flat's router at fault, as others are getting slow/no internet service like me but their computers are fine about connecting.
Options
2019-05-07 11:05:26 - last edited 2019-07-16 06:05:06

hey,

i was also using TP-Link TL-WN781ND card and was having same issue on 192.168.100.1 IP panel and was looking what to do next. thank you all for your replies it helped me and i will also look forward to exchange my card.

best regards!!!

Options
2021-01-11 20:24:13

@CursedJester  For anyone who has been experiencing net drop issues,go to bios and change sata operation to ATA,also turn floppy diskette off only if your pc has a floppy diskette drive,this worked for me on my Dell Optiplex 9010.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4101

Replies: 5