How to keep WPA4220 adapters alive - They keep disconnecting!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to keep WPA4220 adapters alive - They keep disconnecting!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Hybrid solution
2015-04-22 20:46:28
I think I've found a hybrid solution to this issue.

I've replaced my TP-Link device connected to my router with a Devolo device (no, I don't work for them) The TP-Link and Devolo devices seem to operate together quite happily and the software (Cockpit) that comes with the Devolo device allows me to disable it's power saving option easily and set network password for all the devices.

It's been running for a couple of weeks now and I've not had one drop out yet !

I realise this isn't ideal but it does avoid me putting my 10+ TP-Link devices I've bought over the years in the bin and starting again with another manufacturer.

Has anyone tried anything similar ?
Options
wpa4220 adapter alive
2015-08-14 15:36:55
Hello I just bought the 4220 kit for use in the USA I seem to be having the same problem. I bought these adapters to be able to have the internet for streaming video in upstairs bedroom on military housing I have tried signal boosters and every new router that comes out that say super powerful signal the last one that I tried was AmpedWireless AC2600 which was the most powerful router and it still did not work in the farthest bedrooms. So the 4220 seemed like the answer and I did not understand why it keep on disconnecting .

Please tell me the model number of the product you bought to make this 4220 work.

Why doesn't Tp-Link fix it ???have any of you talked to TP-Link ?? And if I can help tell me what to call them about and what you have found.

I am new at this but I see this 4220 as the answer to a lot of problems that could be solved . Not to mention the large amount of sale that Tp-Link could see once they fixed the software issue
Options
Re:How to keep WPA4220 adapters alive - They keep disconnecting!
2015-08-21 00:16:07

ekandefer wrote

Hello I just bought the 4220 kit for use in the USA I seem to be having the same problem. I bought these adapters to be able to have the internet for streaming video in upstairs bedroom on military housing I have tried signal boosters and every new router that comes out that say super powerful signal the last one that I tried was AmpedWireless AC2600 which was the most powerful router and it still did not work in the farthest bedrooms. So the 4220 seemed like the answer and I did not understand why it keep on disconnecting .

Please tell me the model number of the product you bought to make this 4220 work.

Why doesn't Tp-Link fix it ???have any of you talked to TP-Link ?? And if I can help tell me what to call them about and what you have found.

I am new at this but I see this 4220 as the answer to a lot of problems that could be solved . Not to mention the large amount of sale that Tp-Link could see once they fixed the software issue

Hey ekandefer,
I came here to figure out why my powerline signal keeps dropping but I think I know the answer to your problem - or at least give you a couple suggestions.
I have had my 4220kit for about 1 year now. I had it in my garage to help with apple tv and extend my wifi signal. If the extender is on old wiring the speed is super slow (case in my house). If the extender is on a circuit that has been split by a sub panel (case in my garage) its super slow. When I say slow i mean both wifi and ethernet.
If any of those 2 things are the case for you and you are cloning your router SSID, try using a different SSID and password. When my SSID is cloned it seems like the fast signal competes with the slow signal (different channels using 6 for main router and 11 for 4220). Using a different SSID the wifi speed is marginally better but I notice the difference and the speedtest app I use indicates better performance - even if only 5-10mbps. My 4220 is blazing fast on both wifi and ethernet when its on the same circuit but when I put the extender upstairs on a different circuit of my old house with old wiring very best case scenario I barely break 10mbps up and down. I have Verizon Fios Quantum with the 150/150 package. I scrapped the idea of putting the extender in my garage and went with a higher power antenna for my router. Seems like you tried that as well.
I never had a problem with the western digital products. Too bad they no longer make/support them.
Options
2015-08-21 00:37:10
hey EK i just tried to reply to your comment and since it was my first post it seems it didnt go through.
anyway summary of what i said.
If you are cloning your SSID try using a different SSID on the extender.
My house is old with plaster and old wiring - when i tried to put my extender in the garage all of my wifi speeds were incredibly slow in the house and outside.
A friend suggested changing the SSID and it got marginally better.The main router speeds went back to normal. I scrapped the idea and went with a higher power antenna which helped my situation but sounds like it hasnt helped you. I think the problem with cloned SSID is that the device you are connected with is trying to figure which signal to pick up. I run my main router on channel 6 and my 4220 on channel 11.
I have verizon fios 150/150 internet so at the very least i should be experiencing better than 15mbps with the extender. When using the cloned SSID I barely get 5up and 10down. When I change the SSID I get close to 10up and barely over 10down. If on the same circuit both the wifi and ethernet of the 4220kit is comparable to my fios router.
When I speed test my wifi off the fios router I get speeds in the 80up/90down range when close to router. Outside I get 35-40up 40-50down.
Options
2015-08-23 05:09:33
How do we account for the possibly tens of thousands of TP-link customers whose equipment works flawlessly? This forum tells us there are 10s (maybe 100s) of us who experience a problem;
maybe we are the unlucky 1% with noisy AC power circuits, or other random problems. I will note that I use the TL-PA4010 adapters to stream video (Netflix, Amazon) 3 or 4 times a week,
and rarely if ever have problems. When I do, it might just as easily be Netflix congestion, so I just live with the minor hiccup. Never has there been a prolonged (more than 10 minutes) failure.

If in fact there is a TPL problem, I would bet it is with the TP-WPA4220 software, not the Powerline hardware.
Options
wpa 4220
2015-08-23 06:27:58
How do you turn off the powersave on the 4220 ??
Options
2015-08-23 06:58:23

guyinsb wrote

How do we account for the possibly tens of thousands of TP-link customers whose equipment works flawlessly? This forum tells us there are 10s (maybe 100s) of us who experience a problem;

Hello All

maybe we are the unlucky 1% with noisy AC power circuits, or other random problems. I will note that I use the TL-PA4010 adapters to stream video (Netflix, Amazon) 3 or 4 times a week,
and rarely if ever have problems. When I do, it might just as easily be Netflix congestion, so I just live with the minor hiccup. Never has there been a prolonged (more than 10 minutes) failure.

If in fact there is a TPL problem, I would bet it is with the TP-WPA4220 software, not the Power line hardware.

Well to answer the first sentence, Maybe they have no baby monitors and don't live in multi housing, and I am not convinced that its all software I have the 4220 configured in a power line mode and with the 4220 in the non cloned mode so they are there own network within my router network when i use them in a wired situation they work fine but they wont work at all in a wireless mode. When I look at the signal of the tp-linkXXXXX The signal rises to about -60 db of signal and in a few seconds it goes all the way to zero so nothing is really able to work.
I am not sure why the signal works fine if i am in the wired mode all the time while I a am watching video or using a laptop in the wired mode.

If I switch to the cloned mode it disconnects as everyone in the forum has talked about.
Options
2017-10-12 02:35:54
Hi Gents,
I am new to this forum and am also frustrated by this intermittent disconnection from the internet by the powerline adapters. I have a number of adapters PA4010 (500mbps) and have had this problem for a number of years. I also have the wifi unit (TL-WPA4220) bought only a few days ago and that also loses its ip address. Having read the threads I believe I have the same problem as everyone else on this forum. I am surprised it has not been resolved for so long. I have raised it with TL Link technical support and due to hear something tomorrow. I hope a solution has been implemented.
Options
How I overcame it
2017-10-12 09:02:55
I set up a task in Windows to autorun at boot and ping my router continuously. It's a decent solution for a general purpose computer, not usable for something like a tv where we can't run a task like this of course.
Options
2017-10-13 02:34:05
MY WPA4220 has the same problem I have never been able to disable the powersave issue . YOU WOULD THINK THAT THIS COMPANY FIX THIS ISSUE OR POST THE SOURCE COULD SO WE COULD FIX IT . THEY DONT SEEM TO CARE !!! THEY COULD SELL MILLIONS OF THESE !!
I MOVED AND I PUT THEM AWAY RIGHT NOW . MAYBE SOME ONE WILL COME UP WITH TECHNOLOGY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IN THE MEAN TIME.
Options