TL-WN851ND drivers for Windows 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WN851ND drivers for Windows 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
28 Reply
Re:TL-WN851ND drivers for Windows 10
2015-08-21 16:09:04
If the card is not in the list, I'm afraid that TP-LINK has no any update plan for it...:(
Options
2015-08-26 04:23:47

Col821 wrote

Has anyone found drivers for windows 10 for this card yet?

Someone said the card is old....implying no drivers will be forth coming..

I beg to differ... I still have 5 of these cards in stock , and I have just checked my wholesaler and they have over 200.

I sold 2 in the last week, and both have come back because they don't work with Windows 10.

ANY DRIVERS PLEASE....

Do you have a chance to test one of them on w10? I'd like to know if the following works. Install it in compatibility mode of windows 7. When installer opens don't install the "client" thing with the GUI. That did it for me on w8.1 i'm still waiting until i get a notification that the update is ready. But have to admit i'm kinda "afraid" this doesn't work :( If you have a chance to test please post some feedback :)
Options
Windows 10 Drivers in Compatibility Mode.
2015-08-31 08:43:57

mkbox wrote

Do you have a chance to test one of them on w10? I'd like to know if the following works. Install it in compatibility mode of windows 7. When installer opens don't install the "client" thing with the GUI. That did it for me on w8.1 i'm still waiting until i get a notification that the update is ready. But have to admit i'm kinda "afraid" this doesn't work :( If you have a chance to test please post some feedback :)

Sorry, Does Not install.

Ran Installer in compatibility mode.
Picked Windows 7 Driver using, I Have Disk, Let me choose.
Windows installed driver.
TPLink TL-WN851ND was listed correctly in Device Manager.
No Networks visible though.
Rebooted.
TPLink TL-WN851ND, became unknown device with yellow exclamation.

I repeated this 3 times with the same result. Says it works but when you reboot it fails.

:)For info TL-WN781ND PCI-E does work ok with Windows 10.
It Auto detects using the original chipset drivers.:o
Options
2015-09-01 03:10:31

Col821 wrote

Sorry, Does Not install.

Ran Installer in compatibility mode.
Picked Windows 7 Driver using, I Have Disk, Let me choose.
Windows installed driver.
TPLink TL-WN851ND was listed correctly in Device Manager.
No Networks visible though.
Rebooted.
TPLink TL-WN851ND, became unknown device with yellow exclamation.

I repeated this 3 times with the same result. Says it works but when you reboot it fails.

:)For info TL-WN781ND PCI-E does work ok with Windows 10.
It Auto detects using the original chipset drivers.:o

Ah damn :/ So the PCI-E works by default? That's good :D I'm wondering if using a Virtual Machine to test the drivers before upgrading would actually work. Any thoughts?
Options
2015-10-02 21:12:25
I upgraded my system to Windows 10 and the system would crash during Windows startup whenever the TL-WN851ND was installed in the machine.

Tried the compatibility install that was required to get the NIC working in Windows 8 but no luck there.
What seems to have worked though was downloading the following driver from Atheros.cz: https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=33&system=8

Started Windows 10 with the card disconnected, loaded the driver onto a USB and right-clicked on the 64bit inf-file and chose 'install'. Powered down the system and reinstalled the WN851ND and system booted up normally and sees the interface/allows me to connect to wifi. Been running for about 30min now without crashing so I'm starting to feel hopeful.:cool:
Options
Help
2015-10-06 22:36:11

cuake wrote

I upgraded my system to Windows 10 and the system would crash during Windows startup whenever the TL-WN851ND was installed in the machine.

Tried the compatibility install that was required to get the NIC working in Windows 8 but no luck there.
What seems to have worked though was downloading the following driver from Atheros.cz: https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=33&system=8

Started Windows 10 with the card disconnected, loaded the driver onto a USB and right-clicked on the 64bit inf-file and chose 'install'. Powered down the system and reinstalled the WN851ND and system booted up normally and sees the interface/allows me to connect to wifi. Been running for about 30min now without crashing so I'm starting to feel hopeful.:cool:

Did you ever solve the problem? having same problem.
Options
2015-10-14 01:05:14

cuake wrote

good to know there's a workaround! But which file did you right click exactly? When i download i get a zip file with a few .cat,.sys and .inf files. After you Did the right-click part and powered down the system. Did you need to install the WN851ND driver in compatibility mode too?
Options
2015-10-18 15:24:37

mkbox wrote

good to know there's a workaround! But which file did you right click exactly? When i download i get a zip file with a few .cat,.sys and .inf files. After you Did the right-click part and powered down the system. Did you need to install the WN851ND driver in compatibility mode too?

Sorry for slow reply.

I downloaded and right-clicked on athwbx.inf from the link in my previous port. Having said that, I have experienced a few crashes on Win 10 since which may be related to the Network Interface Card. Also have a hunch it may be related to my sound card.

Anyway this is the name of the 64bit file:
64bit INF file (athwbx.inf) from Atheros driver version 10.0.0.308 [424 KB]

Options
2015-10-23 06:33:02
Alright thanks a lot :) I'm still waiting patiently for a workaround. But if nothing comes meanwhile i'll try your method and i'll post feedback here :o
Options
Solution?
2015-11-17 22:50:24

cuake wrote

Sorry for slow reply.

I downloaded and right-clicked on athwbx.inf from the link in my previous port. Having said that, I have experienced a few crashes on Win 10 since which may be related to the Network Interface Card. Also have a hunch it may be related to my sound card.

Anyway this is the name of the 64bit file:
64bit INF file (athwbx.inf) from Atheros driver version 10.0.0.308 [424 KB]

He guys I had same issue with my TP-link TL-WN851ND. I was searchnig for problem with some of my devices and made a mistake when I uninstaled driver for TL-WN851ND that was instaled befor update to Windows 10. When I tryed to install it again it was teling me that I have wrong OS version. What happened was that I found out thread with solution. I tryed it and it's working. You have to start installer like this:

Contol panel -> System and Security -> Security and Mainteance -> Windows Program Compatibility Troubleshoter -> Advanced -> Run As Adimistrator -> Uncheck "Apply repairs automatically" -> Next -> Not Listed -> Next -> Select path to driver installer -> Troubleshoot program -> Than I selected first two checkboxes -> Windows 7 -> "Test the program" started installator correctly and instalation was successfull. Than I rebooted my computer.

This solution working for me.
I hope it will help some of you install that drivers and use your hardware. :D
Options