Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
107 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."
2017-08-16 05:59:45

TP-Admin wrote

Hi guys, you may try the below steps and feedback to [EMAIL="support@tp-link.com"]support@tp-link.com[/EMAIL].
1. Upgrade the firmware to the latest one and perform a reset.
2. Ping 8.8.8.8 in cmd on a PC and check the results. Change the DNS server manually to 8.8.8.8 or ISP DNS servers.
3. Check whether the web management page can still be logged in when the issue happen.
4. Whether a restart to the modem will fix the issue temporarily.

Send these information to [EMAIL="support@tp-link.com"]support@tp-link.com[/EMAIL], together with the screenshots of Status page, error message page and Network-->Internet page, System log and the status of lights when the issue happen. Engineers will help to analyze the problem.

Done all that.

1. Latest firmware installed
2. Ping to Google DNS server (8.8.8.8) successful. I had just rebooted the Router though
3. What do you mean by the web management page? If you mean the router admin then yes I can access that.When the issue is present I get the page as shown in post #7 of this thread.
4. A restart usually fixes it temporarily

When I get a moment I will send it to support@tp-link.com
Options
2017-08-18 19:42:27
So I think I found the problem last night.

I think the auto setup wizard is not working correctly.

I went to the Status/Advanced setting of the router.
At the bottom checking under DSL for the DSL modulation Type I found that for my TalkTalk connection it is ADSL_G.dmt.bis
I then went to the Network/DSL Settings/Advanced setting
I found that it was originally set to ADSL2+. I set the DSL Modulation type to the G.dmt setting

When it was set to ADSL2+ I had already set it to ADSL2 to try and improve my SNR values. The SNR downstream (receiving data) was between 6.1 and 6.3 which is too low which I think was causing sync issues and therefore line drop. Now that I have set the modulation type my SNR downstream is above 12 and the line has not dropped. The SNR for both upstream and downstream should be above 10. Downstream is the most important.

Options
2017-09-08 21:18:12
I am facing the same exact problem on a archer VR2600.
I am a telecom network engineer in a domestic ISP and I am trying to debug this .... since tp-link has no clue whatsoever.
I cannot yet determine the cause of the problem, only that it does NOT happen to all the xDSL lines. For example it happens on VDSL2 line over ALCATEL-LUCENT dslam but not over an ADTRAN dslam.Maybe there is a problem with the spectrum/channel profiles used by some ISPs.
Furthnermore, even in the case where the problem appears when the tp-link is acting as modem + router, it does not occur when the tp-link is set to wireless router mode connecting it through Ethernet WAN to a external VDSL2 modem.

Can anyone facing the problem post here the type of her/his broadband line ? (i.e. ADSL2+ Annex A or VDSL2 annex A)
I will try to collect traces from both the ALCATEL and ADTRAN dslams and upload them to their support email.
Options
2018-09-26 07:43:51
I downsized the firmware and attempted again yet I get a similar mistake "Please endeavor to arrange your DNS physically." I additionally tried entering DNS physically yet the same outcome. This conduct is irregular and when the blunder happens, in the diagnostics I get this "System Connection Status Inspect(NCSI) - Fail" I am utilizing this on Airtel Broadband administration in India associated by means of ADSL+. I am currently utilizing my old ASUS ADSL switch which is working impeccably. I trust VR900 Firmware has the bug and might be particular to Service supplier.
Options
2018-09-27 02:26:59
Hello, I have the same problem (Please configure your DNS manually) archerVR900, while the Internet is there! I use the router in Wireless Router mode. The Internet is connected to lan4 / wan port. Already changed the router for warranty in two different stores, but all the same problem, please help, but it's a pity 150 $! ((((
Firmware Version:0.9.1 1.5 v004c.0 Build 170119 Rel.66992n
Hardware Version:Archer VR900 v1 00000001

Options
Re:Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."
2019-06-23 00:58:12 - last edited 2019-06-23 01:00:23

karafen After i tried many solutions, the only thing that worked for me is to connect the router directly to the line without the splitter
and the phone and it has been working perfectly eversince.

No disconnection, No "configure dns manually" or any other trouble.
but i am not sure what was the problem? is it the splitter or the phone line?

try it and tell me if it worked for you

Options
Fixed
2019-12-11 01:27:32
Thanks!
Options
Fixed
2019-12-11 07:09:17

@Max.Aeternus 

Glad to hear that you figured it out. 

Now you can enjoy the internet with the TP-Link router. 

Best regards. 

Options
Fixed
2019-12-12 11:03:16

@Kevin_Z 

sorry to bother you, but still doesnt works even without the phone splitter

My line is behind a vdsl2+ access, the problem seems really to comes from the vr900

120 $....

Options
2019-12-15 16:50:58

@Healthykicks 

i really dont understand why we all have to open a support ticket, because we all got the similar problem, whatever ISP we are using

this is a general problem about the firmware of the VR900 with vdsl configuration access, tp link has to do something to solve this, and not to developp a specific firmware for each users, this is non-sense....

Options