Security issue with TL-WA860RE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-04 19:18:28
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

TL-WA860RE

Firmware Version: 3.14.8 Build 140827 Rel.34945n

Hardware Version: WA860RE v1.0 00000000

Hi, I recently bought this extender and I had no problem setting it up, but there a couple of issues with security that I'm in no way glad with:

1 - Is there a way to hide the SSID of the repeater?

2 - But most important, is there a way to disable WPS in the repeater?

I live in a block full of neighbours, and I have had some issues with some of them trying to hack and enter into my wifi network, in fact one of them succeded. After that I'm really concerned with security. Now I have a 63 letter long-password, I hide my SSID, I use mac filtering, and of course I disabled the infamous WPS option in my router.

But what's the point of all of that, if my repeater is fricking broadcasting its SSID and announcing that it has the WPS feature turned on :mad:, it's almost an invitation to all the hackers in my neighbourhood. A 8-year-old boy could hack it in an hour, it's only a stupid 8-letter long pin!!

I dont find anything to change this in the repeater configuration! I can live with the SSID enabled, but the WPS issue is unacceptable. Is there a solution for this? Did I throw my money down the drain with this repeater?

Thank you
Options
1 Reply
Re:Security issue with TL-WA860RE
2015-12-10 17:36:15
After you have configured your 860RE, the wps function is not started any more. Moreover, this function is just used to help your 860re join the wireless network of router, the other devices can't join the wifi of 860RE via wps. You don't need to worry about it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 913

Replies: 1

Related Articles