How to connect Archer C7 to a combined router / modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-21 02:27:19
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

First a bit of information:

I have a pretty large home network, with a Huawei CPE E5172 as a central hub. That is a modem / router combination (I think) provided by my ISP, which wirelessly connects to their 4G data service.

Now the main problem here is that the network has extremely slow data transfer speeds (Within the network), and it's WiFi coverage is sub-par. I live in a house made of brick and cement, so that certainly doesn't help either. I need to set up a wireless backup system to a QNAPS NAS, so data transfer speeds over WiFi is my main concern.

What I am looking to do is buy a TP-Link Archer C7, and connect it via ethernet to the Huawei. I'd switch out the Huawei altogether if I could, but unfortunately most modems won't work. So what I need to know is: will this set up work? Or do I need to use an access point instead?

Basically, if I get a TP Link Archer C7, could I just run an ethernet cable from the Huawei to the Archer, disable the wireless network from the Huawei and use the Archer as my router for WiFi and Ethernet?

Attached is a topology of my future network The purple link is my main question. All answers are greatly appreciated!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 593

Replies: 0