High pitch sound from Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-05 12:09:04
Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : 2.0

Firmware Version : (Updated in Sept.2015)

ISP : SEVENStar

Bought a TD-W8968 ADSL2+ router last year and is completely working fine until this morning i was able to hear a weird high pitch high frequency sound. The sound started to come out of nowhere from the working router is very annoying especially in quiet environment. I tried to reboot, reset and other possible troubleshoots but to no avail. Doesnt seem to be hardware issue as the router has not been moved from its place since installation.

THE INTERNET WORKS COMPLETELY FINE THOUGH. JUST THAT THE SOUND Keeps VARYING IN INTENSITY WHEN LIGHTLY TAPPED.

Contacted the customer care and their reply was "We ourselves have heard about such an issue from the router for the first time". (WEIRD)...

If any1 is facing a similar issue or has resolved it by some basic DIY, do post. Help appreciated.
Options
2 Reply
Re:High pitch sound from Router
2019-12-09 16:25:00

@kunalmistry.19 

Mine does too. It does so since the first day I bought it 2 years ago.

I blieve it enters some kind of low power mode, lowering it's processor frequency and that makes the noise.

The noise is not constant. It is clearly "sounds like" data tranmission. And it can be heard regardless of the state of the wireless antenna (on/off).

It starts only when my PC is turned off (or in sleep mode), or when I unplug the WAN port.

When I had the router in my room, it was so annoying that I had to turn it off each night.

Options
Re:High pitch sound from Router
2019-12-11 08:47:52

@rmarinescu 

Hello, please ensure that you use the original power adapter. 

And try to shoot a short video of this issue and send it to us. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2370

Replies: 2