Different locations, different SSID's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-09-19 19:18:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Is it possible to control the devices at 2 different locations or cities? I have 2 different buildings that I wish to have control with a single cell phone app with KASA.
Works great at one location but can I add a different location with a different SSID?
Basically I want to control 2 switches at 2 different buildings each with their own wifi routers with different SSID's.
Is this possible or can I have multi accounts with KASA?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Different locations, different SSID's
2016-09-23 21:50:48
Can KASA control 2 different switches at 2 physical address locations or 2 different cities using the one KASA account?
Options
2016-10-08 10:37:05
Has anybody done this yet?????
Options
2016-10-09 22:40:43
Having a hard time just getting it to work in one location. Every time I leave the home network it goes out.

I had the same problem with Wemo and 2 locations that's why I decided to try the HS200 in the 2nd location if you do not mind using 2 different brands.
Options
2016-10-10 22:54:57
I already use 2 different brands. Wemo and TPlink. I need to connect the tplink at a different location. I don't want to experiment activating the 2nd tplink and accidentally losing connectivity to the 1st one as it is a 3 hour drive to access it. Otherwise a I have useless tplink switch that I can't use anywhere and a 2nd one at that site is not required. I already purchased this 2nd device.
Options
2016-10-12 09:20:44

astro4000 wrote

I already use 2 different brands. Wemo and TPlink.

astro4000, can you clarify what you have, where? And perhaps a rough idea what you are trying to do? Maybe reboot a modem/router remotely? I have found my TP-Link Smartplugs to be reliable, after some trial-and-error de-bugging. I'm not sure I would want to be in the position of having to drive three hours if a Smartplug got flaky. However, if having the Smartplug may SAVE you from a three-hour drive, then it would be a great idea. I would try and put Wemo plugs at one location, and TP-Link at the other.

If you have:
Location A: Wemo, TP-Link
Location B: TP-Link 1&2
I think you are in for problems
If you have :
Location A: Wemo 1&2
Location B: TP-Link 1&2
I would think that would be fine.

I have two Kasa accounts. I may bring a Smartplug to my office, and try and put it on the network there while logged in to the Kasa account I am not using. If I do, I will post the results.
I know that when I switched from the first Kasa account to the second, I got a lot of errors afterwards-"Device bound to another account" or something. It took me a little while to get everything happy again.
Options
2 locations one account?
2016-10-12 23:01:54
If you have:
Location A: Wemo 1 & 2 only
Location B: TP-Link
LOCATION C: TP-Link (Future planned location)
Location C: TP-Link (with different wifi ssid)

Not mixing TP-Link with Wemo at same location.
How do you get 2 KASA accounts on the same device. That most likely would work for me if that is the only way to do this.
Alex
Options
2016-10-13 02:40:15
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I made a Kasa account with email A. Then I decided it would be better to tie it to email B. So I switched over to account B, but had some hiccups. I'm not sure where the SSID info etc is stored;I suspect on the app, and the Kasa cloud account only provides the remote access. I may try, but I'm afraid it will screw up my Smart House and it will look like a bad cartoon where the robots run amok. To change accounts, I would sign out of account B and then sign into account A.
Options
Easily work around Wemo and TP-Link app Problems
2017-07-20 04:59:43
I wrote an article on how to easily work around the Wemo app constriction. I would assume it would work with the TP-Link app as well.

See my article below:

http://www.1fixcomputermedic.com/tech_tips/how-to-get-wemo-to-work-in-multiple-locations/

mpatto wrote

Having a hard time just getting it to work in one location. Every time I leave the home network it goes out.

I had the same problem with Wemo and 2 locations that's why I decided to try the HS200 in the 2nd location if you do not mind using 2 different brands.
Options