Powerline performance at 1/10 in 10cm distance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-18 19:19:02
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello, first time poster here.

Sometime ago I bought powerline AV500 line (TL-WPA4220 Starter Kit & TL-PA4010) and so far it has been working well with respect to delivering internet access across my apartment (old building with thick brick walls), even across fuse circuits. But then I bought a NAS and I found out that the access speeds are nowhere near those 500 Mb/s, but rather closer to 50Mb/s. This is ok for single-device YouTube, but not for more demanding activities.

So, I went testing the speed, and I found out that regardless where I put the powerline adapter in my apartment, the speed is basically the same – 50-60 Mb/s (and then it is very stable).

Even prior to purchasing it, I did read the FAQs and various forums and I know there is some performance degradation caused by motors, changing fuse circuits and whatnot. I also made sure the powerline adapters are plugged directly to wall plug, and that they are not behind power surge protector. But I am talking not about some performance degradation, but instant downgrade to 1/10 under any conditions.

What made me write here was my final test, where I plugged powerline to the plug right next to the one plugged to my router. We are talking about less than 10 cm, same fuse circuit, no device closer, same Ethernet cable. The result? 50 Mb/s.

Going to 1/10 speed in 10 cm distance cannot be in my view explained by any of the performance degradation causes commonly listed.

I went through all the settings on the extender, and I found nothing. What am I missing? Which plugs do I need to pull?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 224

Replies: 0