TD-W8961ND - configure LAN port as WAN port for external modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-05 00:53:26
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello all,

as the subject says...but this is for my mother-in-law overseas. I've got a TD-W8961ND wireless router but this has no WAN ethernet port, only DSL. I want to give this to her such that she can use it with her existing ADSL modem (which has one ethernet WAN output port and one USB port).

I know I can use the W8961 as a simple wireless access point by disabling DHCP and not using the ethernet routing, however, I would like to know if I can configure one of the four ethernet ports as a WAN port in order to connect the external modem, until such time as the mother-in-law is confident of configuring the W8961 modem (in my absence) and eventually discarding the old modem? This would also allow her to connect her old desktop PC by ethernet without having to unplug the modem from the router.

I know it is possible with some other TP routers but I can't see an article on this subject for the TD-W8961ND. Is it possible?

Basically, I want to configure this router here at home before she takes it away with her (overseas)! I need to know that she can make the changeovers without complications.

thanks,

Michael
Options
1 Reply
Re:TD-W8961ND - configure LAN port as WAN port for external modem?
2017-02-05 17:55:10
know I can use the W8961 as a simple wireless access point by disabling DHCP and not using the ethernet routing, however, I would like to know if I can configure one of the four ethernet ports as a WAN port in order to connect the external modem, until such time as the mother-in-law is confident of configuring the W8961 modem (in my absence) and eventually discarding the old modem? This would also allow her to connect her old desktop PC by ethernet without having to unplug the modem from the router.

W8961ND doesn't support WAN conection.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3686

Replies: 1

Related Articles