TP-LINK Powerline TL-PA4010PKIT - how to connect more than 2 devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-21 19:33:29
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Model: TL-PA4010P
Ver: 2.4

I've recently bought 2 sets of TL-PA4010PKIT. Each set containing 2 pcs of powerline adapters. In total, I have 4 pcs of powerline adapters. IThe first time I tried installing just 2 pcs of powerline adapters, 1 to the modem and another to a router or to my laptop, there is no problem. Very easy just plug and wait.

But when I tried to install the 3rd powerline adapter, I have no internet connection for the 3rd powerline adapter. I followed the instruction on the TP-Link website, where I just need to plug the 3rd powerline adapter to the socket and press the pairing button for 1 sec on 1st powerline, then press the pairing button on 3rd powerline adapter for 1 sec. I've tried connecting the 3rd powerline adapter to my laptop or to my wifi router and still no internet connection. The error shown for the laptop, is incorrect username and password (I use PPPOE connection). The error shown for the wifi router is also fail authetication due to incorrect username and password. The question is: whether the model that I bought can only connect up to two powerline adapters? And if more than 2 powerline adapters can be connected, how to troubleshoot it?
Options
6 Reply
debugging advice
2017-02-23 05:22:27
1. Yes, you can have mutiple powerlines, depending on the model. I believe the 4010 can have up to 16 so that is not the problem.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-434.html
2. First thing to try is plug new device into a closer outlet. Press pair on the new one first, instead of when you first pair two, you start with the first one you plug in. If that makes sense.
3. If that still doesn't work, try using the TPlink utility to add the device explicitly.

4. You can rule out a bad device by replacing one of the existing ones and staring over. Time consuming I know.
Options
Re:TP-LINK Powerline TL-PA4010PKIT - how to connect more than 2 devices
2017-02-23 16:09:56
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've tried testing again in a different home with different internet provider (not PPPoE connection) and it works. The case that is not working is where my internet provider is using a PPPoE connection. If I connect it to the wifi, it says fail authentication of username and password for the PPPoE connection. And I've tested out that all devices are working properly because I've tried replacing the 3rd and 4th powerline adapter I have with the 2nd powerline adapter and they all work fine as long as there are only 2 powerline adapters. How do you set up the router for PPPoE connection as the instruction by TPlink is just to pair the devices?
Options
2017-02-24 00:13:52
You need to have your local network behind the PPPoE router, obviously. That includes everything LAN, WLAN, or PLC. What you attempt, PPPoE login on the endpoint device on the far end of LAN/PLC/WLAN connections, cannot possibly work for more than one device at a time.

Solution? Buy a router, and let that log in to your PPPoE provider.
Options
2017-02-24 23:40:01
Hey Peter thanks for the reply. But, I don't quite get what you are saying. Not a technician. So let me clarify how I've set up my powerline:

1st powerline adapter - connected by cable to the modem PPPoE connection (WAN connection)
2nd powerline adapter - connected by cable to first router on the first floor (WAN connection) Internet works
3rd powerline adapter - connected by cable to second router on the second floor (WAN connection) Internet doesn't work, fail to authenticate username and password
4th powerline adapter - connected by cable to laptop, cannot access the internet too, wrong username and password when I tried connecting through PPPoE connection, though the username and password I entered are correct

My assumption is that the 1st powerline adapter connected to the modem will spread the internet throughout the building. Then, I can just plug in more powerline adapters to access the internet. But it doesn't seem to work that way for PPPoE connection. Any setup that I need to change so I can use the 3rd and 4th powerline adapter? Do I need to connect my first router with the second router by cable?
Options
2017-02-25 00:13:42
Point is, you are not "spreading the internet", you are simply extending your modem's single point of connection.

To get multiple clients onto the same PPPoE login, you need to do what I said before: Buy a router device, hook the router's WAN port to the modem, put your PPPoE login credentials into the router. Then hook your powerline installation to a LAN port of the router.
Options
2017-03-01 12:08:24
Thanks Peter, you solved it. So here is how I connected:

Modem - connect to router 1 in WAN hole of Router 1
Router 1 - connect by cable to modem in Router 1's WAN hole, connect to Powerline 1 in other hole
Powerline 1 - connected to Router 1

Next connect Powerline 2 by cable with Router 2's WAN hole.

Haven't tried to connect more powerline as currently not needed.
Options