RE350 in access point mode issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-03-02 21:48:39
Model : RE350

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 1.0.0 Build 20160226 Rel. 57527

ISP :

I need to use RE350 in AP mode beeing connected by UTP to the router. The device is configured for the same ssid and password as the main router, DHCP server in RE350 is disabled. Client (iPhone) can assiciate, gets the IP from the central router but can not browse the internet for some minutes. Then it works, but in roaming scenario when client moves to another AP and then back, the data foes not fly again for 1-2 minutes.
I have checked with 2 HW pieces and was the same. I also did the same setup with TL-WPA8630 (using it as an AP connected by wire to router) and it works like a charm. So I see this as the sw issue on RE350 in AP mode.
Can TP-link check and fix this? AP feature in small body is getting to be more and more demanded by my custommers.

Thanks
Jiri
https://wifihome.cz/
Options
32 Reply
Re:RE350 in access point mode issue
2017-03-13 08:42:20
I have the same issue. Firmware version 1.0.0 Build 20160621 Rel. 51046(US). Same configuration as above. All clients (laptop, iPhone, Android Phone, Android Tablet) can associate with the AP, but takes quite a long time to get an IP address - we're talking on the order of 5 minutes, which means multiple DHCP request timeouts, etc.

It does not have this problem in repeater mode, only in AP mode.

This replaces a WRT-54GL running DD-WRT in the same location, and it never had those issues (it was just so old that you couldn't connect to it with a modern web browser anymore).

Thank you.
Options
2017-03-14 10:34:38
I'm in the same boat - it doesn't work in AP mode. Have either of you contacted TP-Link regarding this issue? I e-mailed support but they have not gotten back to me.

Such a shame that it doesn't work as expected right out of the box. Doesn't inspire much confidence in their current products.
Options
2017-03-18 11:52:35
Glad I am not the only one with this issue. I reported the same issue with the RE350 via an Amazon review a couple of months back. The TPlink extender blocks unicast packets for 5 minutes when in AP mode and hence the delay that any client connecting to it experiences....

I just re-engaged TP Link support for this issue (as directed by their response on the Amazon review) and hopefully will have better luck than I had the first time around :-). Full text of my Amazon review is given below.

Look elsewhere if you are trying to use the AC1200 in the "access point" mode (where this unit is connected to your network/router via the Ethernet port and your clients connect to it via WiFi). If your Wi-Fi client was connected to another access point/router and then happens to connect to this unit, it takes the unit exactly 5 minutes to allow unicast packets to pass through (broadcast packets are fine) and hence your client is unable to access anything on your local network and/or the Internet for 5 minutes. Extremely frustrating if the device happens to be a phone and/or laptop that you moving around the house with and it happens to connect to this unit. I have validated the "blockage" of the unicast packets by using network sniffers on the wifi client and on the network "downstream" of the unit and comparing the captures. Broadcast packets such as DHCP requests and ARP requests are passed through but unicast packets such as DHCP responses or ARP responses are blocked for exactly 5 minutes after a client connects to the unit using Wi-Fi.
This is a fundamental flaw with the hardware/firmware itself. I tried two units and they behaved exactly the same. TP-Link support is useless since they will keep on trying to blame the rest of your equipment (router, switch, network cable) and ask you to swap all of those components out (even after you prove to them the problem still exists by bypassing ALL of those components.
For what its worth the performance is excellent if you are patient and wait 5 minutes for the unit to start passing unicast packets (and hence connect the client to the LAN/Internet) or if you are using the unit in the "range extender" mode. For me though, the 5 minute outage anytime a client "roams" over to this unit is unacceptable.
Options
2017-03-20 08:41:10

NetworkGeek wrote

Glad I am not the only one with this issue. I reported the same issue with the RE350 via an Amazon review a couple of months back. The TPlink extender blocks unicast packets for 5 minutes when in AP mode and hence the delay that any client connecting to it experiences....

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for doing the research. Do you think it would help if others contacted tech support with the same issue? Also, I'd direct them at this thread, because it's affecting several folks.
Options
2017-03-20 22:03:39
I contacted their phone support last week and they sent me a replacement unit. Just installed it and - surprise, surprise! - it's doing the same thing.

@ NetworkGeek - thanks for posting your findings. My wireless devices were eventually able to access my local network and the Internet after several minutes. The access point functionality is absolutely useless with this glaring fault.

BTW, their e-mail based support is an absolute joke. They never got back to me save for a "we received your e-mail and will contact you" confirmation e-mail.
Options
2017-03-20 23:59:32
Good news to report. Heard back from support and they provided me with a BETA version of the firmware (1.0.0 Build 20170120 Rel. 22124(US)) that seems to have fixed the "unicast blocking" issue while in AP mode.

Since the firmware provided is Beta, I am not sure providing a direct link to it would be wise. I would instead recommend that you contact TP-Link support, reference this thread and hopefully they can get the beta to you as well :-)

Good luck!

PS: The beta firmware version indicates it was compiled 3 days after my review on Amazon was posted :-). It is heartening to see that TP-Link is actually doing something based on the reviews/feedback left on Amazon. Something to keep in mind if there are future issues with any other TP-Link product! :-)
Options
2017-03-23 02:21:24
Support hasn't e-mailed me like they promised they would (called again yesterday to see about getting the beta firmware, my call was apparently forwarded to offshore support?), but whatever, my issue is now resolved. Kind of disappointing that such a large company has such terrible support! This whole experience has definitely pushed me away from TP-Link's products.
Options
2017-03-24 16:49:26
Care to share you resolve the issue as mentioned?I'm facing exactly the same issue. Getting annoyed with the waiting time.

CheesePatrol wrote

Support hasn't e-mailed me like they promised they would (called again yesterday to see about getting the beta firmware, my call was apparently forwarded to offshore support?), but whatever, my issue is now resolved. Kind of disappointing that such a large company has such terrible support! This whole experience has definitely pushed me away from TP-Link's products.
Options
2017-04-07 22:26:47
I've added a two star review on the product page. Perhaps that will spur some action.
Options
2017-04-07 22:31:32

dbehber wrote

Care to share you resolve the issue as mentioned?I'm facing exactly the same issue. Getting annoyed with the waiting time.

Beta firmware fixed the issue! Although now my Chromecast Audio that's by that AP is skipping. It used to work better with the other weaker wireless networks in my home, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5383

Replies: 32