DHCP disable/forward + reserved IPs + Port Forwarding missing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-11 02:23:11
Model : Deco M5

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :latest by 05-11-2017

ISP :

Hello folks at TP-Link,

just got myself a DecoM5 but unfortunately i cannot use it due to lacking options/features for configuration.

I have a combined Modem/Router which currently handles DHCP (incl. IP address reservation for certain MACs), Port Forwarding, DynDNS and so on...
The router is currently serving a 192.168.2.* subnet...
I only wanted to improve my WLAN coverage with the DecoM5 system but i had to realize that the primary Deco unit opens up a new subnet (192.168.0.*) and uses an own DHCP for this subnet. There is no option to disable this.
As a result I cannot access LAN devices (LAN printers, LAN cameras, home automation) which are served by the router through WLAN devices connected to the DecoM5 units. I can further more not configure Port forwarding to a WLAN device e.g. a Raspberry3 Webserver which is in the Deco network.

I suggest that you urgently add a feature to disable DHCP or forward DHCP from the main router.
Disabling DHCP in the main router is not an option in my scenario since the Deco system is currently lacking advanced features such as:
- "IP address reservation"
- "Port Forwarding"
- "DynDNS" and so on.

I have a very basic 14$ TP-Link WLAN Router which has a DHCP disable and DHCP-forward functionality implemented.
I guess it's only fair to think that an advanced 299$ system should offer these kinds of functionality as well, right?

If these features do not get added soon by a soon to come Firmware Update I have to return the system.
(Too sad... since the WLAN performance is really great).

Thank you very much
Best regards
careyer
Options
22 Reply
Re:DHCP disable/forward + reserved IPs + Port Forwarding missing
2017-05-12 13:58:55
Thanks for your suggestions.

Actually all these options including "AP mode", "Address Reservation", "Port Forwarding" and "TP-Link DDNS" will be gradually added in future firmware releases.
Just pay attention to the release note of every update.
Options
2017-05-12 15:11:49
Thank you very much.
Is there any indication or estimation when the next firmware update will be released? I am just curious because I experienced with other vendors that this might take ages or will never happen at all ;-)

P.S: You should inform your IT-Operations Department to switch the forum to HTTPS only. User passwords can easily be compromised with the current HTTP implementation. A bit strange to see this kind of vulnerability with an experienced network equipment supplier ;-)
Options
2017-06-05 23:19:39
I have the same type of question. I have WIFI security cameras that I need to lock in the IP address for. I too would like to have an idea as to when this will be part of the Deco system. When do you project this being added to the firmware?

I also agree with careyer, this should be a secured forum. HTTPS please.
Options
2017-06-06 21:28:45
Seems like nobody at TP-Link cares - neither for adding basic functionality to DecoM5 nor to the fact that the forum is HTTP only. I have my 299$ DecoM5 system now sleeping for almost 2 month now in its shipping-box since I can't use it due to lacking features that any 10$ router can do.
Options
2017-06-27 02:59:12
Same problem here - my modem uses the 192.168.178.* subnet, while the Deco M5 creates it's own subnet: 192.168.0.*. Aside from that, I'm very satisfied with the Deco M5. Very easy to setup.
Options
2017-06-27 08:58:14
Hi All,

A new firmware release will come in this week, which has added Port Forwarding, TP-Link DDNS and Address Reservation. Please pay attention to the latest app version and firmware version.

As for Access Point mode, it should arrive in July.
Options
2017-06-27 21:40:36

TP-Link Deco wrote

Hi All,

A new firmware release will come in this week, which has added Port Forwarding, TP-Link DDNS and Address Reservation. Please pay attention to the latest app version and firmware version.

This is great news! I am enjoying how well the Deco M5 is performing other than this issue. I am glad you are working on it and that you have an update coming to address it. Thanks!!:o
Options
2017-06-29 17:01:21

TP-Link Deco wrote

Hi All,

Great new features. But since AP-Mode is still missing I cannot use the same subnet as the rest of my network. Hence my Deco M5 is still of no use and is lying arround in its packaging for almost 2 month now! When will the next Update be released?
Options
2017-06-30 08:56:07
The latest firmware which adds AP mode will come soon in July.
Options
2017-07-02 04:04:29
I just received my Deco M5s knowing that Access Point mode is not yet available. For the time being I've just got one unit running so that I could play with it, but really need Access Point (AP) mode to integrate well with my existing network. You could keep the simplicity that you've built by just providing a link to an "Advanced Setup" in the Deco app so that power users and those with more complex home networking requirements could take advantage of the AP mode. Glad to see that firmware is being actively developed though.

What I think of as AP mode...
- Ability to set static IP address.
- Ability for each unit to maintain mesh wifi ability over ethernet or wifi bridging
- Ability to disable DHCP

Will Parental Control and web filtering features still work if Deco M5s are running Access Point mode?

Having said all of this, I might be willing to run the Deco units as my primary router as more "power-user" features are added.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3286

Replies: 22