Smart plug hs100 suddenly disconnected from wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-28 18:33:46 - last edited 2020-03-09 07:09:02
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have 5 smart plugs hs100, and I am very disappointed how it working. Every day I have situation that one or two of them disconnect from wifi. I am using apple air router and also cisco router. With both of them I have absolutely same situation. I am using smart plugs for watering flowers and other things. Also a set up schedule to turn on system at 6AM and turn off system at 6.15AM. In last 5 days I have situation that two times sistem turn on smart plug on time but never turn off because smart plug, without any reasons disconnected from wifi, and two times was flood on my terrace. For me those smart plugs are totally unsafe and there are not useful for process wher is very important reliability of the system. Do you have any idea why smart plugs sometimes disconnect from wifi and never connect again?

Thank you in advance,

Sava
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Smart plug hs100 suddenly disconnected from wifi-Solution
2020-02-17 04:56:24 - last edited 2020-03-09 07:09:02
Fixed channel and narrow channel width (20MHz) seems to work better for me too.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Smart plug hs100 suddenly disconnected from wifi-Solution
2020-11-07 09:36:11 - last edited 2020-11-09 03:45:46

@Cineview Hi!!! Its in the Wifi router configuration (in the Wireless section normally).

After months of use after toggling to Fixed Channel, the plugs only disconnected once (before that, they disconnected almost everyday).

Best regards!!!

Recommended Solution
Options
22 Reply
Re:Smart plug hs100 suddenly disconnected from wifi
2017-11-05 14:42:02
I also have similar problem with hs100, one of my smart plugs keep disconnecting, im not sure if its the router or its the smarplug, but only one is consistently disconnecting.
Options
2017-11-06 09:37:01
First, check the wifi light on the plugs.
If the light is flashing green or red, it is actually disconnected from the router.
Make sure the wireless signal of your router is stable and the signal strength showing in the device settings on Kasa is -40~-70dBm.
If the light is solid green all the time, check the firmware version and upgrade it to the latest one.
Options
2017-11-07 16:44:15
I had a similar situation. I use one for connecting a car pre-heater i my garage. It turned out the HS100 was just on the edge of the router signal strength. I moved the HS100 to another socket in my garage 4 m closer to my house/router and it has been stable since.
Options
2017-11-08 08:46:14
Good sharing!
Options
2017-11-21 06:15:54
Sometime th smart plug disconnect from your network. Thy going to your setup on you device and tap your WiFi setting and select the tp WiFi. Next plug in your smart plug and reset the device by holding the top button down for 15 seconds. Open you Kasa app and select the plus sing for adding a new device. Select next and it should bring you to you home network enter your password and it should reconfigure your device to your home network.
Options
No good with Wifi
2017-11-22 09:01:23
I have 2 that constantly drop off the wireless. One is about 3 meters away from the access point, and still drops, so the issue that I have isn't connection quality. Any other thoughts? I had found on another forum (sorry, don't have the link) that mentioned that they need to have a static address, or have a reservation setup in DHCP, but that also doesn't work. Getting very annoyed with these.

Can't do what they advertise.
Options
2017-11-22 22:35:52
Are you certain that it's the device dropping from the network (I think it stays solid red) vs the app not being able to find them? That would change your troubleshooting steps. Mine are rock solid except for the one bulb which is furthest from the router.
Options
2017-11-23 01:28:11

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

Are you certain that it's the device dropping from the network (I think it stays solid red) vs the app not being able to find them? That would change your troubleshooting steps. Mine are rock solid except for the one bulb which is furthest from the router.
Definitely device, light solid red, I can't even ping the IP address I gave them.
Options
2017-11-23 05:16:48
Solid red would make me think no wifi connection rather than failed to get IP. Reserving an IP can sometimes help apps find them but of course doesn't help if they can't connect to wifi.

I have seen/heard that many of this IotT type devices have lower quality wifi chips so you need make it easy for them. I use a fixed channel (use 1,6,11) and a narrow channel width (20MHz) which seems to help. I haven't experimented much but maybe allow all of standards types (I use n with b/g protection) and perhaps narrow from there.
Options
2017-11-24 14:22:30
Hmm, ok, I will give that a go this weekend. Thank you for the information.
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 19944

Replies: 23