TP Link Firmware Recovery Utility - No LEDs lit? Try this.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP Link Firmware Recovery Utility - No LEDs lit? Try this.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:TP Link Firmware Recovery Utility - No LEDs lit? Try this.
2018-06-12 16:36:04

walterioo wrote

When i scan the app detectes the device but when i try to recover it always fails. I already tried different version of firmwares but no luck
I used wireshark and the powerline is sending packets

Same issue as you, I own a WPA4220.
I tried open-plc-utils on Linux, but plcboot can't connect to the device. Did you manage to solve the issue?

I just failed do recovery my TP Link TL-PA2010P with the PLC Recover software it detects the PLC but failed to recover.

Did you manage to solve?
Options
Re:Lost Powerline ?
2019-01-26 17:16:01

I also had the problem, that the tool didn't find my device.

Additionally starting the tpPLC next to the recovery tool fixed this, device was found and could be recovered!

Options
2019-08-27 17:37:39 - last edited 2019-08-27 21:10:56

Thanks OP for sharing this. This tool helped me saved 4 of my Trendnet TPL-406E Adapters.

Here is the story, I upgraded firmwares on those adapters, didn't like the performance, and decided to downgrade. After that, one of the adapter immediately "dead" (no LED light). And other 3 wouldn't connect any more. It turned out that Trendnet PLC tool won't able to keep the MAC address when downgrading, so all 3 Adapters were set to same default MAC address. Basically that made all 4 adapters useless.

I found the linux tool "open-plc-utils", but didn't work for me. I was able to get to the plcboot, modpib but fails on the last step, when running plctool command.

Things cannot get any worse, so I decided to give this tool a try. Surprisingly I was able to successfully recover the "DEAD" unit on the first try.

Here was the teps:

-----------------------------

1. scan, detected the device,

2. Enter the actual MAC address of the UNIT from the label format xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx.

3. Enter the correct firmware .nvm and .pib files

4. Click on Recovery

5. Unit LED lights up, and came back alive

(Note: For people who see error of missing packet.dll and wpcap.dll, you must have WinPcap installed to have this tool working)

For the other 3 "half-alive" units, the tool could not detect them at first. I believe that was because they are not in recovery mode. I then purposely tried to brick one of them, by using the Trendnet PLC tool to upgrade, and then unplug the adapter while it's in progress. After that, that unit also "dead" had no LED when plug into the wall, at that stage, I was able to recover it with tool following same steps.

After then I just followed the same steps for the remain 2 adapters.

This saved me at least $100 to replace them :)

Thanks OP for sharing the tool !!!!!!

Options
2019-09-05 20:15:21 - last edited 2019-09-05 20:21:23

I also managed to get the plc recover tool to find my bricked device now (WA4010P) (after falsely installing the wrong firmware again and breaking the connection like described).

However any attempt to install the correct firmware fails now.

HELP!

Options
Re:Re:TP Link Firmware Recovery Utility - No LEDs lit? Try this.
2019-09-06 20:33:27

When you install firmware, make sure you enter the correct MAC address (Printered on the adaptor), the format should be XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

Options
2019-09-09 20:24:40 - last edited 2019-09-09 20:32:45

I tried this several times. I still get the failure message.

The process works for maybe 5-10 sec. and then the failure message appears.

If i read some above posts correctly it could also be a problem of the device, that is not compatible with the software TL-PA4010P(EU)

Options
2019-12-27 19:50:53

@dirky  same problem as dirky. with the powerline adapter pa4020p v1.1 eu , tried a lot of different things. 

- timing the recover attempt at different intervals from poweron

- chaning the file names/ or even the file paths

Hope somebody will find out more.

Options
2021-07-13 03:41:57

@The Vogon 

Hi! Is there an updated version of this PLC Recover?

My poweline model is: WPA8630P KIT (UK)  ver:2.0

Last time it works fine. Then I put it in its box because not really using it. After 5, 6 months later, I take it
out of the box, turn it on, and then it keeps flashing!

The power LED keep on and off, cannot get into its wifi, connect it using LAN cable, the Local Area Connection in
my PC stated it keeps plug and unplugged!

WHAT THE HECKLL?? This thing is not cheap!! Im using it less than a month and it bricked just like that??

- Try hard reset using paper clip, DOESNT WORK!

- All the buttons on the powerline DOESNT WORK!

- Try reset using tpPLC, FAIL!!

- Try using this PLC Recover, it cannot detect maybe because it keeps plug and unplugged..

- The firmware is in BIN format! How i want to flash this if tpPLC only support NVM and PIB??

Any solution for this before im throwing this into recycle bin?

Options
2021-11-07 16:31:47

@dirky 

For those are of interest:

After struggling several hours, I was succeed to get my PA4010 back to life:

1. get a machine with WXp (native, not vm)

2. extract fw files, and rename them as

mac-release-X.nvm -> mac.nvm

4010_3.0_EN50561-3.pib -> 4010.pib

3. install WinPCap 4.1.3.

4. run PLC Recover tool

5. make a picture or a note on the MAC of the PA

5. keep the PA unplugged at least for 120 seconds.

6. push and hold the pair button, plug the PA in, release the pair button after 30 sec

7. hit scan in PLC Recover tool

8. if the PA is identified, load fw files, input MAC and recover the PA.

Options
2022-01-14 04:19:54 - last edited 2022-01-14 04:21:30

@The Vogon 

@PeterSv80

Hello,

I am trying to revive a bricked TPL 410ap v2 with the restorer tool ( https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/97844?page=1 )

but I am stuck as I cant find the corresponding NVM and TPL for the device.

The last firmware release its on a IMG file ( http://downloads.trendnet.com/TPL-410AP_v2/firmware/FW_TPL-410AP(1.00.14).zip ) and I am not able to open it or find any way to extract the required files.

Any Idea?

Options