Pair of Archer C2 routers - how do I set up WDS bridge?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-17 10:02:44
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have followed the instructions found on these pages:

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-440.html
http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-227.html

but I have not been able to establish a WDS bridge link between two brand new Archer C2 (AC750) routers.

Router #1 (Main router) is configured to do PPPoe (to a DSL modem connected to WAN port).

Router #2 (Remote router) is connected via LAN port to a desktop PC. Nothing is connected to WAN port. I have no idea how to set the WAN port (dynamic IP? Static IP?). Wireless survey on Remote router shows the Main router (using 2.4 ghz band).

I set the wireless authentication / encryption for both routers to the same setting (WPA2-PSK personal, AES) . I enter a simple password on both routers. I set the LAN ip for the Main router to 192.168.2.1. I set the LAN ip for the Remote router to 192.168.2.2. I disable DHCP, NAT and uPnP on the Remote router.

I enabled WDS on the Remote router. I perform a wireless scan and I can see the Main router. I press the Connect button associated with the Main router. I get no error message, I get nothing to tell me that the router has or has not connected to the Main router.

On the Wireless Statistics page of the Remote router, I see mostly nothing (wireless stations currently connected: 0) but sometimes I see 1 connection (itself?).

On the Wireless Statistics page of the Main router, I see mostly nothing (wireless stations currently connected: 0) but sometimes I see 1 connection (again - itself?)

If the bridge connection is working, how is that indicated? On what page of the web interface? Also, nothing shows in the system log that a bridge connection was attempted or successful / unsuccessful.

I do not have WDS bridging enables on the Main router - should I? I think WDS bridging is only set on the client router - in my case the Remote router.

I seem to be able to ping the IP address of the Remote router from a PC connected to the Main router, and vice-versa, but I can't ping a PC connected to the Remote router from a PC on the Main router, and vice-versa. Is this a routing issue? It shouldn't be, since all IP's of all devices are on the same /24 subnet.

Any ideas here?

I don't intend to have any wifi devices connected to the Remote router - only hard-wired devices connected to the LAN ports of the Remote router.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Pair of Archer C2 routers - how do I set up WDS bridge?
2017-06-18 03:37:45
Ok, I think I have it *partially* working. I had WPS enabled on both routers, and I disabled WPS on the Main router (but it's still enabled on the Remote router). Security is set to WPA/WPA2 Personal, AES (on both routers).

So here's the situation: I'm working with 2.4 ghz band, have disabled 5 ghz on both routers. Mode: 11bgn mixed, fixed channel, auto channel width. WDS enable is no.

Main Router:
- Wan: PPPoe
- LAN IP 192.168.2.2
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Enable IGMP Snooping: yes
- Wireless Statistics: Only shows it's own SSID as Currently connected. Status is "Associated".

Remote Router:

-Wan: L2TP (just guessing at this setting)
- Address type: static IP
- Server IP address: 1.1.1.1
- IP address: 192.168.2.3
- Gateway: 192.168.2.2 (this is the IP of the Main router)
- DNS server: 4.2.2.2

Lan:
- IP address: 192.168.2.4
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- enable IGMP snooping: no

Wireless (2.4)
- Mode: 11bgn mixed
- Channel: fixed channel (same as Main router)
- Channel width: auto
- Enable SSID broadcast (yes)
- Enable WDS (yes)
- SSID to be bridges: Main Router
- MAC address (it's there)
- Key type: WPA2-PSK
- Encryption: AES
- Password: (it's there)

WPS: enabled

NAT:
- current NAT status: disabled
- current hardware NAT status: disabled

DHCP: disabled
uPnP: disabled

I have a PC (remote PC) connected via ethernet to LAN port of Remote router. Remote PC has fixed IP (192.168.2.60) and has gateway set to 192.168.2.2 (IP of Main router).

I have a PC (Local PC) connected via ethernet to LAN port of Main router. Local PC has fixed IP (192.168.2.11) and has gateway set to 192.168.2.2 (IP of Main router).

There is no physical cable connection between Main router and Remote router.

Local PC can ping Remote router, can ping Main router, has working internet connectivity, but can't ping Remote PC.

Remote PC can ping Local PC, and can ping Main router, and has working internet connectivity.

How do I establish proper routing so that devices connected to the Main router can "see" devices connected to the Remote router?

Both routers are Archer C2,

Firmware Version:0.9.1 0.11 v0032.0 Build 141211 Rel.37407n

Hardware Version:Archer C2 v1 00000000
Options
Re:Pair of Archer C2 routers - how do I set up WDS bridge?
2017-07-14 17:29:38
make sure remote PC firewall is off and allow devices in the same subnet to ping it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1970

Replies: 2

Related Articles