When connecting over ethernet, reboot breaks network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-29 07:59:05
Model : Deco M5

Hardware Version : 1.0

Firmware Version : 1.1.1 build 20170614 rel. 66381

Hi,

I recently bought a set of decos and was wondering if other people are seeing the same issues I have been running into. The main issue I have is connecting the deco's over ethernet. I have been unable to set up a new deco whilst an ethernet cable is plugged in. I first have to set them up wirelessly, after which I plug in the ethernet cable. Speed tests seem to suggest that they are connecting over ethernet. However, once they reboot, for example because of a firmware update, this breaks the network. Any decos with an ethernet cable plugged in leave the main network and set up another one with the same settings as the main one. At one instance I had three individual networks, all with the same SSID and password, but as soon I changed a setting for one of the networks, this would not change for the others. It is almost like that when an ethernet cable is plugged in they all want to be the main deco in a network.

I reported this at my local TP-Link (the Netherlands) and they told me that this is a known bug. However, they could give me an ETA on a fix. I am hoping that somebody on this forum has more information about this because if I understand correctly, ethernet backhaul is supposed to be supported already.
Options
5 Reply
Re:When connecting over ethernet, reboot breaks network
2017-06-29 09:08:22
May I know the network map in your home?

Just as what I said in the other thread, currently if you want to wired the three Decos together with Ethernet Backhaul, you need to make sure only the primary Deco is connected to the front-end router. The other two Decos must be connected to the LAN port of the primary Deco. So that the three Decos could always share their settings to each other.
Options
2017-06-29 18:12:24
First of all, I apologize for creating a thread for an issue that was already discussed. I overlooked the other one.

TP-Link Deco wrote

May I know the network map in your home?

My modem is connected to a switch with ethernet cables that lead to other rooms where the decos are placed. Therefore, if I understand correctly, the access point mode should fix the issues I'm running into. Hopefully it will be released asap.
Options
2017-06-30 03:54:07
So if I have three connected, should I just connect them via wifi for now without lan? I am experiencing the rebooting as well.

I have a ATT cable modem, with one of the ethernet cables connected to a deco. The I run the other ethernet port on the deco out to a switch that lights up the rest of the house, including two other decos connected via ethernet.

Thanks,

Ross
Options
2017-06-30 08:54:45

Rossman wrote

So if I have three connected, should I just connect them via wifi for now without lan? I am experiencing the rebooting as well.

I have a ATT cable modem, with one of the ethernet cables connected to a deco. The I run the other ethernet port on the deco out to a switch that lights up the rest of the house, including two other decos connected via ethernet.

Thanks,

Ross

Your connection map looks good for Ethernet Backhaul as only the primary Deco unit acts as your root router.
Internet ----- Cable modem ----- (port 1) the primary Deco (port 2) ----- switch ------ other Decos and clients.

As for the rebooting issue, could you provide more details? Need to clarify that a new update of firmware will always reboot the router which is normal.
Options
2017-06-30 22:26:43
In more testing, it actually seems that the wifi signal drops out and certain nodes go to a yellow pulsing light. Lots of issues here, but not sure where to start..
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1054

Replies: 5