Deco less stable withe latest firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco less stable withe latest firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
28 Reply
Re:Deco less stable withe latest firmware
2017-08-15 16:20:23

rebirth24 wrote

Upgraded to the latest firmware. SAME ISSUES. What do these useless Devs actually do for a living?! Unstable App, Backhaul not working properly (throws the whole system into disarray). DECO's constantly going offline (only a 1200 sqft condo for crying out loud). You have some of the worst support I have ever seen from a company...

This is the TP-Link Forum. You may send feedback to tp-link support. There is feedback option after you press the deco device and the three dots on the top right.
Options
2017-08-16 00:59:46
Since updating the network card driver on my Laptop and with the latest DECO firmware upgrade my system is running great. I have a total of 4 units with one over 100 feet away from the other units in my outbuilding. I have 5 acres of property I cut grass on. My phone's wifi will stay connected anywhere on my property to the DECO units and allow me to stream music the full time cutting without a single interruption.

Early on I had some interference from other wifi routers I had on. With the others turned off the DECO works much better. If you have other near wifi routers they could affect your coverage.
Options
2017-08-16 02:51:51
I have 3 Deco's covering approx 3600 sq ft. Much better coverage / speed throughout the house vs. the two Apple Airport Extreme's I had running (one in bridge mode) before I bought the Decos. Was very happy for the first few weeks, but then I updated the firmware because I needed the IP Address Reservation feature for my wi-fi security cameras.

Since the last firmware update, 2 of the 3 Decos were going offline almost daily, so when I saw there was a new firmware early this morning, I started updating.

It took 4 tries just to get all 3 of the Deco's running the latest firmware. I spend at least an hour re-downloading and re-starting the firmware update before it was finally working on all three. It hasn't been long enough yet to determine if the stability issues have been addressed, but now there's a new issue. It seems that if you have "New Device Detected" notifications turned on, the Deco's (or the app) doesn't recognize that a device was connected previously. Since the update, I've received multiple New Device notifications for my iPhone and several other devices on my network. So I've turned off notifications for now.

I really want to like these Deco's, especially for the price I paid during an Amazon sale vs. what it costs for the Eero or the other mesh products available. This seems to be one of those instances where you really do get what you pay for. If I wasn't already past the return policy period, I'd return the Deco's without giving it a second thought....
Options
2017-08-16 14:04:58

tcbeaty wrote

I have 3 Deco's covering approx 3600 sq ft. Much better coverage / speed throughout the house vs. the two Apple Airport Extreme's I had running (one in bridge mode) before I bought the Decos. Was very happy for the first few weeks, but then I updated the firmware because I needed the IP Address Reservation feature for my wi-fi security cameras.

Since the last firmware update, 2 of the 3 Decos were going offline almost daily, so when I saw there was a new firmware early this morning, I started updating.

It took 4 tries just to get all 3 of the Deco's running the latest firmware. I spend at least an hour re-downloading and re-starting the firmware update before it was finally working on all three. It hasn't been long enough yet to determine if the stability issues have been addressed, but now there's a new issue. It seems that if you have "New Device Detected" notifications turned on, the Deco's (or the app) doesn't recognize that a device was connected previously. Since the update, I've received multiple New Device notifications for my iPhone and several other devices on my network. So I've turned off notifications for now.

I really want to like these Deco's, especially for the price I paid during an Amazon sale vs. what it costs for the Eero or the other mesh products available. This seems to be one of those instances where you really do get what you pay for. If I wasn't already past the return policy period, I'd return the Deco's without giving it a second thought....

I am in the same boat as you. Going to email amazon now and attach some of the issues and emails back and forth with tp-link. I am sure they will assist with returning this. If not I will call my CC up. I am sure they have some kind of protection against consumer fraud....
Options
2017-08-16 16:30:27
+1 for the continuous "New Device Detected" notifications for the same devices.. Very frustrating..
Options
2017-08-16 17:31:19

tcbeaty wrote

Hi tcbeaty, we want to find the reason why the decos are not stable, so we can find a solution. Can you please provide us some information to locate the problem? Thank you!
1. How do you connect the 3 decos together? Via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?
2. Is the M5 working at router mode or access point mode?
3. Is there any switch between the first deco and another two? If it is possible, please draw a picture of your network topology.
4. When Deco dropout, does it show offline on Deco app? How about the light on Deco M5? Is it red?
5.. Will the main deco also dropout?
6. if you stand close to the deco which is offline, can you still get internet from that deco?
Options
2017-08-17 11:55:00

TP-Admin wrote

Hi tcbeaty, we want to find the reason why the decos are not stable, so we can find a solution. Can you please provide us some information to locate the problem? Thank you!
1. How do you connect the 3 decos together? Via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?
2. Is the M5 working at router mode or access point mode?
3. Is there any switch between the first deco and another two? If it is possible, please draw a picture of your network topology.
4. When Deco dropout, does it show offline on Deco app? How about the light on Deco M5? Is it red?
5.. Will the main deco also dropout?
6. if you stand close to the deco which is offline, can you still get internet from that deco?

Sure, info is below.

1. Via Wi-Fi
2. Router
3. Netgear cable modem ----> Main Deco ------> other Decos (via wi-fi) [note: I do have an 8-port switch connected to main Deco for distribution to a few wired-only devices]
4. Yes, the other two show offline but the main Deco remains online.
5. No, the Main Deco was staying
6. Not sure, I haven't tried this and the other Decos haven't gone offline since I updated.

So far, the connection seems more stable compared to the issues with the last firmware rev, HOWEVER, I'm still seeing duplicate "New Device Detected" messages in my inbox (27 new messages just today) for known devices that have been connected many times before. This is why I TURNED OFF the notifications settings, but obviously this is NOT ideal.

Let me know if you need any further info.
Options
2017-08-17 19:58:34
For duplicate "New Device Detected" messages , you can change the position of main deco and the other deco.
Like connect the second deco to the modem.

Or reset and reconfigure these decos, the issue will be resolved.
Options