How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

2017-07-11 14:15:12 - last edited Monday
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Ethernet Backhaul is a feature that makes it possible to wire the Deco units together to optimize the bandwidth and network stability.
Normally, after wired Deco units with an Ethernet cable, the Ethernet backhaul will take effect automatically. 

Typical connection structures for Ethernet Backhaul

QA

Q1: Which switch models support Ethernet backhaul?

Most of the switches on the market support Deco's Ethernet backhaul feature. If you don’t have a switch or if your switch is verified not compatible with Deco Ethernet Backhaul, the following models will be a good choice:https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/all-soho-switch/

Q2: To use the Ethernet Backhaul feature, do I need to wire all my Deco units?

Nope. The following network layout works as well.

Q3: How do I know if Ethernet Backhaul takes effect?

Q4: Why my satellite Deco's signal source shows "Wi-Fi" instead of "Ethernet" in the Deco app even if the main Deco and the satellite Deco are connected to the same switch?

Please refer to the suggestions on this link:Ethernet Backhaul not working

Q5: Why my Deco units become unstable once they're connected via a switch?

The Deco Ethernet backhaul feature is based on the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol. However, we find that some switches, mainly the D-Link switches, will not forward packets based on IEEE 1905.1 protocol, causing all Deco units in a network loop and becoming quite unstable, you might consider changing another switch or contacting switch’s support directly. TP-Link Switches are mostly compatible with our Deco’s Ethernet backhaul.

Q6: Can I set up different Deco models such as M5 and M9 Plus together through Ethernet backhaul?

Yes, just configure and add different Deco models in the same Deco network. After that, you can wire them to set up the Ethernet backhaul connection.

You could refer to the link to learn how to add different Deco models in the same network.

Q7: Can I use one Ethernet port on the Deco for Ethernet backhaul and the other to connect a computer?

Yes.  For more details, please refer to How to use Ethernet Ports on Deco?

Q8: Can I use a pair of powerline adapters to build Ethernet Backhaul, like Main Deco---master Powerline adapter~~~extended Powerline adapter---satellite Deco?

Yes and please keep in mind that the Ethernet Backhaul speed now will depend on both the Ethernet cable quality and Powerline rate.

Related Article: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices-Solution
2021-07-07 01:46:39 - last edited 2023-01-18 06:44:37

Update:

Please refer to this link if the Ethernet Backhaul could not be set up between Deco units:

Ethernet Backhaul not working

Recommended Solution
Options
401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2017-07-11 15:01:05 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Dear TP,Is is strictly necessary for AP's to be in WiFi range of at least one other AP when they are connected by Ethernet as well?
Options
2017-07-11 15:06:13 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Nope, once the Deco units are wired together, they will communicate with each other directly via the wired connection bypassing Wi-Fi.

You can have a check on your side.
Options
2017-07-12 02:53:37 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Does it matter which port on the DECO we use to connect to the wired switch? And can we then hang another switch off the 2nd/3rd/4th deco and pass wired traffic to those devices?
Options
2017-07-12 03:55:05 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Ethernet backhaul is NOT working for me can you please help?
Here is my setup:-
Model:-> Deco 5 :-> Gigabit Switch 1:-> Gigabit Switch 2:-> second Deco 5 (Not working)
l-> Third Deco 5 (Not working)
If I connect my older Asus router in Access point mode in place of second deco 5 or Third Deco 5 my Asus router works in Access point mode.
Can you please give us detailed steps regarding how I can connect.
When I try resetting 2nd or 3rd deco it blinks blue and try to connect but gives some error error.at the end.
Options
2017-07-12 08:56:34 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
@rebirth24
Yep, you can do like that. Just make sure all the data from 2nd/3rd/4th Deco units are finally forwarded and processed by the main one.

@santoshhyadav
Have you tried to connect the second Deco directly to the LAN port of the main one? Will it work in this case? If yes, it seems an issue between Deco and the switches. Try to change the management IP address of the switches for a check.
Need to clarify that you need to firstly set up the three units in the same network via the Deco app before you use the Ethernet Backhaul features.
Options
2017-07-20 05:24:31 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

TP-Link Deco wrote

Nope, once the Deco units are wired together, they will communicate with each other directly via the wired connection bypassing Wi-Fi.You can have a check on your side.

Dear TP, I did check and it most certainly looks like the Deco units need to be in wireless range even when hard wired, if a unit is out of WiFi range it goes red and is reported in app as not connected. The thing is that this behavior is not consistent nor immediately. However, there surely is something fishy with the wired backhaul.
Options
2017-08-08 21:20:41 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

TP-Link Deco wrote

2. Please set up the three Deco units on the same network at first through the Deco app before you wired them together.

Hello! I do not quite follow this instruction. Do you mean that you should link them through WiFi first ("same network") and then connect them? Or do you just mean that it should be a separate switch for all Decos?
Options
2017-08-09 14:20:41 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Hi, is it possible to have two of my deco devices connected with ethernet cables and the third connecting over Wifi? One of the connected ones would be the one connecting to the modem.
Options
2017-08-12 22:55:55 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

TP-Link Deco wrote

Nope, once the Deco units are wired together, they will communicate with each other directly via the wired connection bypassing Wi-Fi.

You can have a check on your side.

How do I check that the backhaul is over Ethernet?
Options
2017-08-13 09:40:27 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45
Is there a solution to this issue yet? I have 4 decos main deck as router connected to internet modem, one wirelessly connected to the main deco and the other two connected via the Ethernet port. The ones connected via Ethernet is not working... ( they are not in the wireless range of the main unit.)I tried setting them up wirelessly first then moving them but it doesn't work. P.S all are updated to the latest firmware 1.1.1 build 20170614
Options

Information

Helpful: 19

Views: 409074

Replies: 402