How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-06-14 12:33:38 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Hi guys, I will appriciate some help over here. 

I am trying to add 2 Decos M5 to my existing home network. 

The existing home netwok topology (before adding the Decos) is as per the following:

[Modem] --- [TP-Link Archer C7 with NAT, DHCP, WIFI] ~~~ 

I want to avoid any cable connection and just add the Decos to the network as access points, affectivly creating a mesh network with one device in every room.

The topology I am trying to achive is this:

[Modem] --- [TP-Link Archer C7 with NAT, DHCP, WIFI] ~~ [Deco1] ~~ [Deco 2]

Unfortunatly, it seems that I cannot configure any of the Decos without a wired connection (even if they are configured as access points)

I want my current TP-Link router to keep transmitting WIFI on the same network as my Decos and make them work together to create a mesh. 

@TP-Link how do I set up such a network? 

Thanks,

Alex

Options
2019-06-15 14:05:47 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

What is best practice for running switches in multiple locations?

Current setup is:

Modem—>M5-1–>switch

M5-2–>wireless

I want to add a switch to the room M5-2 and wire with ethernet, should I add the switch after the m5 or before?

ethernet cable in to room—>m5, second port to switch

or

ethernet cable—>switch—>m5

same scenario for third unit.

Thoughts/Experience?

Options
Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-06-21 05:40:41 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

If I may offer a point of reference, my setup works as follows:

Modem > Router > Deco 1 (port 1) : Deco 1 (port 2) > Switch (via Powerline) > Deco 2 (via Powerline) : Deco 3 (via Ethernet)

I chose to maintain the use of my ISP Router as it has a backup USB 4G dongle attached to it as well as the port for my VOIP service.

The only Ethernet connection from the Router is to Deco1.

wifi is disabled on my ISP Router.

Blogger7 wrote

Ethernet backhaul is NOT working for me can you please help? Here is my setup:- Model:-> Deco 5 :-> Gigabit Switch 1:-> Gigabit Switch 2:-> second Deco 5 (Not working) l-> Third Deco 5 (Not working) I problem help

Options
2019-06-25 03:49:28 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Both scenarios work.

The only thing that needs attention (Router Mode) is that all the remote Deco units should be connected behind the main Deco. In other words, you could connect the remote Deco directly to the Ethernet LAN port of the main Deco, or connect the remote Deco to a switch which is connected to the Ethernet LAN port of the main Deco. However, you cannot connect both Deco units directly to the same root router.

Wrong topology: Internet ---- ISP router ---- (switch) ----  main/remote Deco

Correct topology:Internet ---- ISP router ---- main Deco ---- (switch) ---- Other Decos/switches

In Access Point mode, no such limitations.

emrdrgz wrote

What is best practice for running switches in multiple locations?

Current setup is:

Modem—>M5-1–>switch

M5-2–>wireless

I want to add a switch to the room M5-2 and wire with ethernet, should I add the switch after the m5 or before?

ethernet cable in to room—>m5, second port to switch

or

ethernet cable—>switch—>m5

same scenario for third unit.

Thoughts/Experience?

Options
2019-06-25 03:54:35 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

The main Deco should be wired connected to the front-end modem/router. Thus your setup won't work in this case.

We recommend to set up Deco as the main router. As for Archer C7, you could let it connect to the Deco network via the WDS bridging feature.

AlexGal wrote

Hi guys, I will appriciate some help over here. 

I am trying to add 2 Decos M5 to my existing home network. 

The existing home netwok topology (before adding the Decos) is as per the following:

[Modem] --- [TP-Link Archer C7 with NAT, DHCP, WIFI] ~~~ 

I want to avoid any cable connection and just add the Decos to the network as access points, affectivly creating a mesh network with one device in every room.

The topology I am trying to achive is this:

[Modem] --- [TP-Link Archer C7 with NAT, DHCP, WIFI] ~~ [Deco1] ~~ [Deco 2]

Unfortunatly, it seems that I cannot configure any of the Decos without a wired connection (even if they are configured as access points)

I want my current TP-Link router to keep transmitting WIFI on the same network as my Decos and make them work together to create a mesh. 

@TP-Link how do I set up such a network? 

Thanks,

Alex

Options
2019-06-28 14:44:47 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Hi, I have a set of Three Deco M5 and need to understand the best structure to work as access point and Ethernet Back Haul.

The proposed structure is:

ONT+Router (Internet Provider) >  Main Deco M5 > TP Link Switch > Deco M5 2 and Deco M5 3

Is there any other way that the newtwork would work better?

Unfortunately, my Internet and TV provider won't allow the V'Lans to be used directly at Deco M5, putting their router in Bridge mode.

Thanks

Options
2019-06-29 20:31:39 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

In AP mode, while you could have the Deco ahead of the switch, there is certainly no need to (and why pass all of your outbound wired LAN traffic through the Deco if it isn't handling routing and security anyway?).  All of this stuff is in the same broadcast domain in your topology. The only thing that sits outside of it is the ISP-facing WAN segment. In AP mode, think of the Decos as a big wireless switch. Anything connected to physical ethernet ports is passed right through, while wireless clients are subject to Wi-Fi security.

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-06-29 23:04:22 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

my current setup is a bit complicated which includes switch module for router and Deco in AP mode only..etc but below i tried to simplify it for you

Simplified view#1 (inserting a Switch is not an option):

Router <> (Port 1) Deco#1(Port2) <> Power line <> Deco#2

Simplified view#2 (Using switch):

Router <> (Port 1) Deco#1(Port2) <> Switch <> Deco#2 (if you wanna add more just connect Deco #3 to switch)

****** I'm impatiently waiting for the new firmware which apparently will show the wired backhaul working******

btw , any web interface access would be appreciated although i know it'd fall in deaf ears 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-01 17:18:17 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

hi there! 

I want to set up the following:

2 Internet connections with 2 isp routers then both connected to a router witch unifies the internet speed, then connected to a switch and then connect 6 deco m5 to the switch with ethernet. 

Is it possible?? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2019-07-01 22:44:03 - last edited 2019-10-09 03:27:45

Hey mate,

As far as I understand it's not possible in wired backhaul model, deco is designed for a Hub-Spoke model and only hub is allowed to have internet connectivity. if spokes receive the ISP Router/Gateway ARP , it'll break the model for the wired backhaul.

Also deco is not that intellligent (at least features are not visible via app) to detect dual path and path preference. it's very very basic designed for no clue home users.

In your best case scenario , you'd be looking at below: (In this model you'll be confined to Deco Hub 1Gig uplink capacity , hopefully you dont need more laugh)

Active/Standby Internet:

You need to run HSRP/VRRP on the inside interfaces of your ISP routers so deco always talks to active router. (Incase you can access those routers)

Active/Active Internet:

You may need to do some GLBP on ISP routers, if you use a device capable of it

Hope it helps

Options