How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

401 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2021-02-27 19:24:05

@TP-Link Deco Hi,

I have an unstable Ethernet connection between Decos P9. System was working fine with the configuration below:

ISP Router(Bridge)->cable->DECO Main unit -> wifi -> DECO 2->cable-> DECO3

I could not connect it all by cable because I was usign a Dlink switch and could not get connection.

I have bought 2 TPlink switch  (TL-SG108E & TL-SG105E) and was willing to have the DECO's all wired like this:

ISP Router(Bridge)->cable->DECO Main unit -> cable->switch 108->switch 105-> (DECO 2 and DECO 3 connected to same switch). It worked, but after some hours it fails DECO's turn RED, switch port starts to blink both leds... and it was not easy to recover, it seems it need to wake in specific order. Was this caused by the uplink between switch?

Now it's working with this connection, but I'm not sure if it's the best or even correct:

ISP Router(Bridge)->cable->DECO Main unit -> cable->switch 108->DECO2 -> switch 105-> DECO3

Can you please advise what should be the best option?

Should I make some configuration on the switchs? I have only IGMP enabled, not sure If I would need to configure any option on the VLAN/Uplink.

Thanks in advance

Options
2021-03-02 21:40:12

@Amiguel 

Let me update my problem. Connection continued unstable.

I've made several tests in the switchs, and finally turning OFF both IGMP and loopback prevention it is working for some days without failing or restarting! I will try next weekend to test turning ON IGMP, but so far it's working.

Options
2021-03-07 22:54:22

@Amiguel 

I didn't even try to set up ethernet backhaul with my managed D-link switch and bought a TL-SG105E.

Same issue as yours until I've disabled IGMP snooping and loopback prevention.

Thank you for posting

"If you're not sure which switch to use, TP-Link switches may be a good choice". LOL

Options
Options
2021-03-09 19:21:52

@TP-Link Deco 

Hello! 

I have an existing setup at home like this one with a 4-port router in the center, two satellite D-Link access points and 1 TP-Link gigabit switch connected to it.

Everything works great so far except I lose connection when walking from room to room. Thus, I'm planning to modify this existing setup by changing the D-Link AP's with two new deco units using AP mode.

Q1- Would the mesh wifi feature work as expected in that case with any Deco devices that I connect? (for example two Deco E4's ?) (or one deco E4 and one deco M4?)

Going one step further, I may plan to use this kind of setup in the future:

Q2 - With this network topology, again with any Deco devices that I connect, would the mesh wifi feature work as expected?

Options
2021-03-09 19:59:03

@ckeske 

This will work, if you only want to connect one device hardwired near your deco you don't need an additional switch, the deco disk itself is a small 2 port switch.

Can't confirm about mixing different types of deco, I use four of the same type in a simulair setup as your second drawing.

Options
2021-03-15 09:50:01

@TP-Link Deco 

Hi all,

I'm due to purchase a 3-unit-pack of either M5 or M9+ but I'm still slightly confused about how exactly I would go about daisy chaining all 3 units.

Is it WAN (ISP) -> WAN (Master); LAN (Master) -> LAN (Slave 1); WAN (Slave 1) -> LAN (Slave 2)?

Or would the last leg be WAN -> WAN of Slave 1 to Slave 2?

(apologies if this has already been explained somewhere in this 30page thread. If it has, please point me in that direction)

Tia...

Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco 9 M Plus
2021-03-21 23:05:39

@RoKo 

I have the NetGear GS108 and the main Deco is not working for me with the slave deco? Any help will be appreciated. I believe my switch is a managed service. 

Options
2021-03-22 01:10:25

re: "... confirm about mixing different types of deco ..."

In theory different Deco lines ought to work; I have mixed two different "X" series (X60 & X20 aka 3600).  It might be a bit more of an issue across the "model lines" of Deco (e.g. X60 with M9), but even that ought to work.

I *would* recommend, though, selecting a "most capable" (e.g. fastest) Deco as the "Main" Deco, especially if it is acting as the wired "routing" Main unit (i.e. the one connected directly to the "gateway"/ISP device).

Options
2021-04-22 08:22:29

@Kiyamoh 

Greetings & Good Wishes.

I have recently installed with the exactly same setup , with an Asus Router and 3 TP Link 8 Port switches.

I have configured the 3 Deco's (X60) as an Access Point.

I have multiple devices wired to the Ethernet TP  Switches and WiFi to the Deco.

My setup is just 2 days old and I wondered if your system has stabilized.

Have you made any changes ? Appreciate your inputs.

Kiyamoh wrote

@TP-Link Deco , I'm having major issues with setup.

Is there something wrong with my setup? My Deco M5 cannot connect to the internet. Please help.

Options