How to set up Port Forwarding on the Deco app

2017-07-11 14:58:52 - last edited 2022-08-03 08:17:02

Port Forwarding is used to make a device or service in your home network accessible to computers on the internet. Typical applications include allowing remote management to security cameras within the local network, permitting access to HTTP, FTP and other local servers, etc..

Detailed instruction about How to setup:How to set up Port Forwarding feature on the Deco

If you have any issues about port forwarding or the opened ports are still closed, the following suggestions will provide you with some guidance.

1. Failed to configure port forwarding.

• The device is not on the “Select from Device” list.

Please check whether the server is used a static IP address. If yes, please change it to DHCP

Most of the time, Devices, such as NAS, NVR, Virtual Box, and PI-Hole are usually set up with static IP addresses, instead of DHCP, if you do not use to use DHCP, this link would provide a workaround.

Forward port to missing device

• Some error messages pop out during the configuration.

The troubleshooting depends on the error code and please comment below with a screenshot of your error message.

2. Port forwarding is set up correctly, but ports aren't open.

• First, please check whether you have a public IP address under Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4.

If this IP is a private address, you might have a double NAT issue and the port is blocked by the ISP gateway.
The available solutions are:

1. Set up Deco as an access point under Deco APP>More>Advanced>Operation mode;

2. Open the same port for Deco on the ISP gateway.

• Check the firewall settings on the server.

Windows firewall will block the connection from the different subnet, and it will divide the difference according to the network location you have chosen.

Please refer to this link to check whether you have a public IPV4 address and the LAN server is on the Public network profile:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/785/

If the IPV4 IP is a public IP address, the configuration has no obvious mistakes, your case needs to be under further analysis, please comment below with the following details:

1.Please make sure UPNP disabled under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

2. Which ports did you wish to open? For which local devices?
3. Are you able to access this server via the same port on a local client?
4. How did you find out the port is still closed?

---If you have enabled TP-Link DDNS, except testing via the DDNS, please also test whether the server is accessible remotely via WAN IP address.

We do need more cases to complete the troubleshooting guides and please let me know which one is quite similar to your case, and if any of the suggestions works.
Thank you very much.

Options
31 Reply
Re:How to set up Port Forwarding on the Deco app
2018-04-30 13:39:09
Is there a way to limit the source addresses that will be forwarded (ie: Who can access the published service?) Or is it all the internet or nobody?
Options
2018-07-16 04:11:32
Would I use this configuration with my C5400v2 router to use away from home to have a wireless network for streaming and be safe or encrypted.
Options
2018-08-28 09:10:05
I have a synology which is connected to my Deco m5 in the Lan port. I cannot select the synology device when configuring port forwarding. Can you please let me know how do I select my Synology when configuring port forwarding?
Options
2020-07-24 00:47:59

@TP-Link Deco Is there any way to add an IP address without having to select it from the list of available devices? Im currently running a media server from an iMac mini and the server holds its own IP address different from the mac minis but it does not appear in the list of device IP's. I cant manually add it so I can port forward the servers port number. Ho do I do this through the Deco?

Options
2020-09-21 10:58:40

@TP-Link Deco 

Really need help to find a way to manually key in the port forwarding IP due to limitations and devices that are running on static IPs.
Is there any other way to do it other than selecting from a list of connected devices?
My device is connected but I cannot find it in the Deco app.

Please advise.

Options
2020-10-08 10:19:20

@TP-Link Deco I have exactly the same issue. I find it totally stupid that I cannot just enter the IP of my NAS. For some reason, it is not shown as Online in the Deco app. But it is in the network, I can use it without any issues. Why is not displayed in the app, even though it has a static IP address?

Options
2020-10-08 15:28:31

@panzerboy I am seeing the same thing. I have an old NAS with static IP that I have been using for years, and I am still using it in the Deco mesh network without any issues. However, the NAS is not listed in the Deco app or in the web gui http://tplinkdeco.net/

I support the request of allowing port forwarding to a LAN ip adress, it should be an obvious requirement.

Options
2020-10-09 06:58:46
Well, for some reason, now it appeared in the list and I could setup the port forwarding. But it's frustrating, don't know exactly why it appeared and whether it will disappear at some point.
Options
2020-10-14 13:36:00

@TP-Link Deco 

I have the same problem. I have a Virtual Box running on an old macbook pro and the Virtualbox ip dosent show up in the router.

Is there a way to set a static ip or portforward without the ip address showing in the list???

Options
2020-10-21 16:22:41

@TP-Link Deco 

Came onto the community forum to find a solution to this exact problem :(

I have the same problem as many above, VirtualBox running Home Assistant, dumb-ass Deco can't see it in the list of devices connected to the network, so I cant add a port forward for it :o

A solution would be either -

1 - Fix the list of devices on the network so they are all shown (heck! the tool is already there in the side menu, Wi-Fi Detective, which ironically shows my missing device)

2 - Allow the addition of IP address without selecting from the list.

But quick quick!!

Options