How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

53 Reply
Re:Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2019-09-12 22:32:44

@TP-Link Deco Point 2 is a lie.  My network is suffering a mayhem right now because Deco M5 will not stop allocating IP addresses even in AP mode of operation.  Firmware 1.3.1.  Very disgruntled due to this.

Options
Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2019-09-15 17:09:56
I have a network excess but it not worked without wire connection can you please guide me? How to I check it?
Options
2019-09-18 00:04:02

@TP-Link Deco 

For star network, if the modem/router is in the center and the other DecoM9’s (3 of them) are in the rooms (spokes) all connected by ethernet cable to the router? All of the Decos are in AP mode

1. The router will be performing NAT function and assigning the IPs?

2. Will they all be in the same network ? I suppose they need to be connected by wifi first?

3. How does the data flow work? 

Options
2019-10-10 22:38:34

@TP-Link Deco 

When in Router Mode, I get to view who are connected to DECO, wired or wireless.

It appears that this functionality is somewhat DHCP related, or information from DHCP assigned pool.

But if in AP Mode, will I get to see who are connected to the DECOs? At least those connected on the WIFI/wireless side?

Options
2019-10-28 09:13:45

@TP-Link Deco 

It is incredible that a company can charge a permium price for a great product in concept, but roll out bugginand incorrect software.

The inabilty to configure the network to ones own needs is very unprofessioanl. Please have a look at the way DHCP is setup allow for maunally configurable IP ranges. and please have a enable disable DHCP... especically If I wont my router to hand them out. send out a patch would be an idea....

Very temped to got  consumer affairs to try and get this sorted... 

Options
2020-04-21 11:58:02

@TP-Link Deco 

Dont seem to work as expected ? ..  I have  setup where i have two decos M9 connected to root router LAN ports and also they create a new WLAN.. Situation now is that only primary Deco (main deco) will route traffic to internet to all devices connected behind it...  Second Deco has obtained an IP from root router DHCP but it does not route any traffic to internet.. any device connected to 2rd Deco do not receive IP from DHCP...   Also "sounds" like 2nd device is routing traffic to primary Deco ?.. 

So , question is..

How do i set these up so that  they bot work in AP mode and they route traffic to primary router ?  

Hoe do a set these up so that both devices route/pass  dhcp traffic to root router and also pass the internet access. ?

Problem seems to be more or less with the secondary Deco setup ?

Options
2020-06-17 16:12:29

I am planning to get a Deco M5 to replace my three AP's, running different SSID's. However, I will need AP mode, as my internet is handled by a firewall box, which also runs a DHCP server, time server and a DNS cache. Does anyone know if you use AP mode, if it will allow the client DHCP request to pass to the firewall? I have had mixed experiences with AP's, some do, some don't, even when there is no DHCP server on the AP itself. I will be using ethernet backhaul for all three nodes. But I need the main DHCP server to be able to control the network. The manual on this topic is just too vague.

Also, the manual doesn't mention it, but is there a way I can selectively open up the WiFi. I can block devices, but not allow devices? I live in a pretty dense area and do not look forward to having to monitor new device joined events, and open myself up to a brute-force password attack.

Also, in AP mode, does the Firewall work? (which would mean there's a net transversal :( ), VLAN?, SIP_ALG? Because all that is mentioned is what you can read on the screen shot in the manual. Overall the manual doesn't explain the device very well.

Lastly, for the more paranoid, using smartphones and apps is just inviting problems, does anyone know what information floats outside my network when I am identifying myself with that TP-Link id? The less info that is shared is better in my books, but I am not able to find much on this.

Options
2020-07-02 11:49:35
Options
2020-08-11 18:56:12

@TP-Link Deco 

Did some research (not enough it seems) and bought my self the triple pack of P9s. I only wanted access point mode as I have a server taking care of DHCP and DNS.

First one went OK, second one seemed to too, this was connected via ethernet for the backhaul. Connecting the third one was when it went wrong. For some reason connecting the third one convinced the main one that although in access point mode, it should start churning out IP addresses. I took it down and turned my old one back on and it was still dead couldnt reach my DHCP server. Turns out the DECO is doing something that crashes my TP-Link LS108G switch as rebooting this restores previous functionality.

I factory reset them and tried again, got two working and left it at that, all seemed well. Coverage was good but speed is reduced even on my lan with gigabit connections if there is a DECO unit inbetween. For a day or so I left it at the two and it seemed stable. Often the app would tell me the DECO was offline but everything seemed to be working. 

I decided I wanted to see if I could get the third one for upstairs running again. Immediately network is gone, first one is doling out DHCP addresses again(I guess this is some kind of fall back after it kills my wired network), wired network is also dead. Turn all the DECOs off, reboot the switch and all is good again.

Got all three up at the moment but the ethernet backhaul is not connecting on the second one this time, it's plugged in and the lights are flashing on the switch, if I plug a computer in it connects at 1Gbps. So the speed when connected to that one is worse than connecting to the main one direct.

Any ideas before I put it all back in the box and send it back whence it came?

Thanks

Options
2020-08-17 15:04:37
is it better to get it in AP mode or router - will either impact the speed of the network?
Options
Related Articles