TL-MR6400 adding external Wifi Antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-16 17:36:04
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am using my TL-MR6400 in a steel boat and need to install an external wifi antenna in order to use the Wifi repeater facility to connect to the marina's wifi service.

I will also need to retain the use of the internal wifi antennas to connect my laptop / phone to the router via wifi.

is it possible to add external wifi antennas to the TL-MR6400 by soldering an SMA socket/s somwhere to connect the external antenna?
I thought of just piggybacking the connection to the internal metal antennas but i'm not sure if this will have an adverse impact on the transmitter or indeed if it will work at all?

any help much appreciated
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-MR6400 adding external Wifi Antenna
2017-08-21 15:35:13
you are not gonna use a SIM card? as I know the antennas on the router are 4G LTE antennas. 4G signal is mainly depended on your ISP and the sim card. antenna type is SMA male. you can change the external antennas but I don't think that would help.
Options
2017-08-22 00:09:24
Hi,
Thanks for reply.

Yes I will use the sim card when I can but when my boat is in the Marina I can use the Marina Wifi and save my 4G data allowance as long as I can find a way of adding external Wifi Antenna's...

as I mentioned the routers wifi antennas are internal (two pieces of metal soldered to the PCB) i'm wondering if it is possible to connect additional SMA sockets soldered to the PCB somewhere or the internal wifi antennas themselves and add an external Wifi antenna without damaging the routers Wifi Transceiver circuitry ?
Options
2017-08-22 15:56:30
that doesn't sound like an easy task. I doubt changing the internal antenna to external wifi antenna will work. and dismantle the machine is a risk
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1450

Replies: 3