What should I do if internet connection is not stable when the device is connected to TP-Link router?

Released On: 2018-11-26 09:03:18Last update time: 2018-11-26 09:03:18

You may find that your devices like your mobile phones and laptops lose internet connection constantly when they are connected to the router via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. It may be caused by many factors. Hence this FAQ will help you troubleshoot.

End-device means computer, laptop, front-device(s) means your modem or main router etc. which the TP-Link router is connected to.

Case 1

Step 1

Check whether the connection will be automatically restored after a few minutes. Check the Wi-Fi LED on the router when it happens and see if the wireless network can be found via your end-devices.

Step 2

It’s probably caused by wireless interference. To change wireless channel, channel width (refer to here) or get away from a wireless interference source, such as microwave oven, cordless phone, USB3.0 hard drive etc.

Step 3

Check firmware version of your router (here). Upgrade if it’s not the latest firmware. Contact our support if you need assistance upgrading the firmware.

Step 4

Contact TP-Link support with the information above for further assistance along with devices that are connected and operating system information.

Case 2

Note: Please only follow the steps below when there is no internet access.

Step 1

Step 2

Check firmware version of your router (here). Upgrade if it’s not the latest firmware. Contact our support if you need assistance upgrading the firmware.

Step 3

Log into the router in order to check the WAN IP address, Default Gateway and DNS server. Write down all the parameters or take a screenshot. And save System Log (Advanced>System Tools>System Log).

Step 4

Contact TP-Link support with the information required above for further assistance.

Comment

Synopsis: I have the X20 wi-fi 6 deco in Wireless Router mode, Fast Roaming enabled and Beamforming enabled at my home. In short, Beamforming was causing internet connectivity issues with some of my devices at home but not others. I disabled Beamforming from within the Deco app and all devices immediately connected just fine.

Details: Yesterday, streaming YouTubeTV was acting up on both of my smart TV's that were both streaming the game (I normally get about 400mbps DL speeds through AT&T fiber)...a little bit of connection but super grainy and buffering/lagging. Couldn't really figure it out last night. Then, today my work laptop and personal iPhone nearly lost connection to the internet (my wife's as well) even though my personal laptop was perfectly fine showing over 200mbps DL speeds....all devices connected wirelessly to my home network. DL speeds were literally down to .14mbps on my other devices though...so random. I thought it was my ISP, AT&T, but a wired ethernet connection was perfectly fine on my personal laptop and my Xbox. I thought maybe it was because I set priority on some devices (within Deco app), so I turned off all device priorities. I optimized the network a few times form the deco app....restarted my gateway router...kept trying speed tests on the devices with little to no connection...but my work laptop, my iphone and a couple other devices still lacked connectivity while others were fine. Within the deco app I made sure nothing was blacklisted, etc. Finally, from within the Deco app I turned off beamforming (More > Advanced > Beamforming > Disable) and that corrected the issue instantly. My iPhone and work laptops both had internet access with DL speeds way up again, as did my wife's laptop and our smart TVs. No other issues after that. 

Beamforming...it was trying to help but getting in the way...such a Bert Macklin of this whole situation. Not sure if that will help at all but..

upload
    upload