Most frequent questions about TP-Link Powerline adapters

Released On: 2018-11-26 11:13:36Last update time: 2021-10-09 07:18:53

Q: What can I do if the Powerline adapters do not work automatically via “plug & play”?

A: In most cases, our Powerline adapters will pair up automatically. If not, please press the pair button on each unit to pair them up, or use the Powerline Utility to pair the adapters. For detailed instructions, please refer to FAQ 258

Q: How do I add a new Powerline adapter to an existing Powerline network?

A: You can use the pairing button feature to add a new adapter, or use the Powerline Utility. For detailed instructions, please refer to FAQ 319

Q: How do I clone my router's WiFi if pressing the WPS buttons do not work, or if there is no WPS button on my router?

A: You can manually configure the Powerline extender’s wireless name and password to be the same as the router's through the Powerline extender's web interface. For detailed instructions, please refer to FAQ 398.

Q: How can I configure the Powerline adapters on MAC or Ubuntu OS?

A: For MAC 10.6 or later, we offer the Powerline Utility and Powerline Scan Utility to manage our Powerline adapters.

For Ubuntu or older versions of macOS, we do not provide configuration utilities. Instead, please configure the adapters on Windows OS, then use the pair buttons and web interface to configure our wireless Powerline adapters.

How to secure (pair) the Powerline Network

How Do I Secure My Wireless Powerline Extender on a Mac Computer? 

Q: Are all TP-Link Powerline adapters compatible with each other? Are TP-Link Powerline adapters compatible with adapters of other brands?

A: TP-Link Powerline adapters utilize HomePlug AV/AV2 Standards, which means all of our Powerline adapter models are compatible with each other and can be used within the same network. However, please bear in mind the overall Powerline rate will adaopt the lowest HomePlug AV standard rate when using various TP-Link Powerline adapter models in the same network.

For adapters of other brands, if they adopt the same standard, they may be compatible with TP-LINK adapters. However, please bear in mind that different brands’ products will have different methods to pair and configure the adapters. As a result, we suggest it might using Powerline adapters from the same brand to ensure convenience and compatibility.

Q: Can several Powerline networks exist simultaneously in same power circuit?

A: Yes. The Powerline networks can be separated by different network names. About how to change the network name, it can be made by the pair button or attached Utility. However, the overall throughput is shared by the multiple networks, please be informed of this. Please refer to the FAQ 258 to change the Powerline network names.

Q: How many Powerline adapters can be paired together?               

A: The amount can vary depending on the models used. For more detailed information, please refer to FAQ 434

Q: Why can't my Powerline rate reach the reference speed?

A: The theoretical maximum channel data transfer rate of Powerline adapters is derived from HomePlug AV specifications. Actual data transfer rate will vary from network environment variables including, but not limited to: distance between adapters, network traffic, noise on electrical wires, building material and construction, quality of electrical installation and other adverse conditions.

Q: What can I do if my Powerline rate is very slow?

A: Powerline products transmit data through the electrical wiring of your house. The Powerline network rate is mainly decided by the quality of the electrical wiring environment. Please refer to FAQ 409 for suggestions.

Q: Can TP-Link Powerline adapters work in different phases of three-phase circuit?

A: Yes, but the Powerline rate will be affected when crossing the phases. For three-phase four-line circuit, we suggest using the topology below for optimal results.

Q: If I have numerous Powerline adapters in the same network, will network bandwidth be affected?

A: While in the same private Powerline network, all connected devices share available bandwidth.

Q: Can TP-Link Powerline adapters work in multi-voltage circuits?

A: Yes. The voltage range that Powerline adapters can work with is 100-240V, and general voltage fluctuation will not affect stability.

Q: Can Powerline adapters work if they are separated by UPS?

A: No. Usually, UPS devices will have filtering functions, which can prevent a Powerline connection. Some power outlets and circuit breakers may also have surge, ground-fault, or arc-fault protection functions, which can also interfere with, or prevent Powerline connectivity. We do not recommend using Powerline adapters in such environments.

Q: Can Powerline adapters work if they are separated by different electrical circuits?

A: The answer in this case may vary depending on which HomePlug AV standard is in use (HomePlug AV vs. HomePlug AV2). For HomePlug AV Powerline adapters, each adapter should be on the same circuit (breaker) for optimal results. If the adapters can pair in the same room, but the Powerline LED turns off when you move one Powerline device to another area, this usually indicates they are plugged into separate electrical circuits, thus preventing them from communicating. In such cases, please try different locations. However, the HomePlug AV2 standard introduces new technology and features, allowing Powerline adapters to communicate as long as they are on the same main circuit (panel).

Q: What can I do if I don't have Internet after connecting to a Powerline network?

A: Please refer to FAQ 392 for troubleshooting steps.

Q: Do I need to reset the Powerline adapters/extenders if I’ve changed my router?

A: Not necessarily. As long as you retain the existing configuration in which the Powerline adapters/extenders connect to your router, a reset shouldn't be required. If you need to adjust the wireless settings of any Powerline WiFi extenders in order to match the new router’s settings, please press the WPS button on the router and then Wi-Fi button on the adapter; or refer to FAQ 398.

Q: Why do my Powerline adapters interfere with some other devices?

A: The HomePlug AV/AV2 protocol utilizes the same frequency as some other devices within your home. As a result, Powerline products may interfere with devices such as lighting systems that have a dimmer switch, or a touch-sensitive on/off feature, short wave radios, cable television system, VDSL devices, speakers, or other Powerline devices that do not follow the HomePlug AV/AV2 standard.

Q: Can appliances affect the performance of Powerline products?

A: Yes, please refer to FAQ 882 for detailed information.

Comment

Very Well Explain Tp-Link Powerline Adapter Grateful to you for giving awesome data to us. Your duty is interesting and all data is reliable for new per customers. Keep doing eminent future, thank you for sharing this significant post.

I don't know how to post a new question so forgive me if doing it in the wrong place.     

My Question is: Can I have  SIMULTANEOUS WIRED AND WIFI from one pair of TL-WPA7510KIT Product code:  228629  I have the adaptor connected to my router in the klitchen, then the extender is in my bedroom (at far end of house where there's no wired connection and useless wifi) So I want to use an ethernet cable (to my TV)  from the extender in my upstairs bedroom, BUT I also want the same extender to give me wifi in the same bedroom (to my laptop and smartphone).  I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. Maybe one of you Tech savvy guys can tell me.

Here's hoping!!!!!

I have 4 of the TL-PA4020P powerlink adaptors in my home and they are working well. I purchased them on the basis that I wanted to eliminate the wireless radiation from within the house, and I can confirm that they are most effective. However, I have just read that although the TP Links will significantly reduce the WiFi microwaves within the house, they will create a different problem, namely dirty electricity. Have any tests been performed on the TP Links that can reassure me / the users that if dirty electricity is being emitted, it is within the safe limits of ,60mV.

PVA confirmation is significant in light of the fact that it explains how real your arrangement of functioning is. It's useful to achieve in light of the fact that this is the manner by which it is given as some assistance to you. Our offices take controls of various ranges, for example, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Google etcetera and that is the exact 

No. Usually, UPS devices will have filtering functions, which can prevent a Powerline connection. Some power outlets and circuit breakers may also have surge, ground-fault, or arc-fault protection functions, which can also interfere with, or prevent Powerline connectivity. We do not recommend using Powerline adapters in such environments

Thanks for taking time to share with us such a great article. I found such a significant number of fascinating stuff with regards to your blog particularly its discussion. keep doing awesome.

How Do WiFi Extenders Work?

WiFi extenders connect to your wired network via Ethernet or coaxial cable, just like a wireless router. There are even some extenders that can transmit an existing wireless signal through your electrical cables (called "powerline WiFi extenders").

The technology allows you to extend a single high-speed network throughout your space, without worrying about interference between routers. Essentially, you're adding a new wireless router to another room, with a direct connection to your broadband signal. This will ensure that you experience the fastest possible wireless speeds in a problem area, such as a basement or densely constructed room.

To get more info about New extender setup, Contact us at 1 866-606-3055 or check Mywifiext net or Also know about "How  Mywifiext net helps you about Netgear extender setup or Netgear Wifi extender setup?"

Thanks for providing this type of useful information but I'm using TP-Link USB device so no problem here

Awesome post this 

Thansk for the post.

Thanks for shareing information about TP-Link Powerline adapters.  guys tp link is the best companmy i loved it.. <a href="https://www.mamihealthy.com/"></a>

upload
    upload