Cannot Setup Administrator Password for New Archer C6 AC1200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-05 17:58:14
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ?

Hello! 

We purchased a new Archer C6 AC1200 wireless router. Connected all of the cables, power, etc. The device turns on and all the lights turn solid green. I can access site indicated on the Quick Start Guide, both tplinkwifi.net and 192.168.0.1. It prompts me to create an "administrator password". I have tried several different variants for a password - low/medium/high security ones, as well as the suggested "admin". No matter what I put in the box, when I click on the button "Let's Get Started", nothing happens. The page doesn't reload, it doesn't redirect anywhere, it just sits there and nothing happens. 

I have tried it from a PC running Windows 10 with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. I have tried it from a Macbook Pro from Chrome, Firefox and Safari. I also tried it on an Android smartphone from Chrome. All devices encounter the same issue - I can load the page to create a password, but it will not allow me to actually create one. 

From my smartphone, I also tried to setup the device through the TP-LINK Tether App. There, slightly more information appeared in the form of an error message across the bottom of the screen "Unable to change or modify the username and password."

I have tried to do a hard reset of the router several times. It does not make any difference and I continually encounter the same issue. 

There are no options for me to try any default username/passwords or bypass this screen. I have a new device that will not setup and will not work. Please help! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Cannot Setup Administrator Password for New Archer C6 AC1200
2020-07-06 02:54:53

@viper2525 

Hello, can I have the error screenshot when you tried to log into the web UI of the Archer C6?

Additionally, what is the region version of the C6 on its bottom label, and can you see its firmware version on the login screen?

When you tried to reset it, did the reset is successful, did you see all lights go off then back on?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Cannot Setup Administrator Password for New Archer C6 AC1200
2020-07-06 05:38:52

@Kevin_Z 

There is never an error message that comes up from the web be UI. I type in an administrator password, repeat in the box below, it verifies they are identical, the "Let's Get Started" button lights up, I click on it, then nothing happens. Attached is how it looks. 

Region is RU. I'm currently working in Ukraine and we purchased the device through a reputable local retailer.

I cannot see the firmware version on the login screen. It will not let me go beyond the screenshots here. This is all I can see :(

The resets appear to go successfully. Hold down the button for a few minutes, the lights blink off, after several minutes, they reappear and turn solid again. 

File:
Screenshot_20200706-083025.pngDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2963

Replies: 2

Related Articles