Archer T4U Plus slow WifiSpeed and hissing noise while working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-29 08:53:30
Model: Archer T4U Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello

I've bought this adapter in order to use it as hotspot between my PC and Oculus Quest 2.
For smooth wireless gaming, Quest 2 needs more than 500 Mbps wifi speed
Archer adapter is connected into USB 3 Gen 2 port on the back.

In order to activate G5, after setup and restart, I went into adapter setting, wireless mode: IEEE 802.11ac
I went into Network Connections > Mobile hotspot and enabled it.
Now I can see this adapter as WiFi hotspot with 5G enabled.
However Im getting max 192 Mbps speed and this adapter is rated up to 867 Mbps

Oculus quest is approx 2 m from the adapter, so distance shouldn't be an issue.

Questions:

1. Is this max supported speed and is there a way to increase it further?

2. When transferring data, when I load something, this adapter emits loud hissing sound. I
s this normal?

3. On the box I can see this model name: Archer T4U Plus (EU) Ver 1.0
Is there more versions available and are latest version improved?

Please answer all questions.

Thanks,
Regards

PC Specs

Archer T4 Plus driver: 1030.41.514.2020

MBO Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
CPU Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU SAPPHIRE RX6700XT Pulse

PSU Corsair RM750i

Win 10 pro all updates

32 GB ram

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer T4U Plus slow WifiSpeed and hissing noise while working
2021-11-29 12:27:10

Hello @Krx 

1. It seems that Oculus Quest 2 does not show the real speed test result, there is a streaming speed in Virtual Desktop on Oculus. 

Can you double-check with Oculus support or and see how much Oculus could get on that speed?  May I have a photo of the speed you refer to? 

2. Please test T4U Plus 5Ghz on a different device like phone or laptop and see if 5Ghz speed is faster. 

3. If you mean very small hissing sound that  is not noticeable in the house background noise, only close to the adapter you can hear the sound, that sound could be ignored. 
If the sound is pretty noticeable and obvious compared with house background noise or even disturbing, can I have a short video? Thank you.

Options
Re:Archer T4U Plus slow WifiSpeed and hissing noise while working
2021-11-30 17:45:54

@Solla-topee Hello

1. I was referring to the speed reported by Virtual Desktop program. Max speed that I was able to pull out from T4U was 192 Mbps.
I spent almost whole day on this: tried many more card settings, reinstalls, resetting windows network but always the same.

2. Couldn't test it because I needed it connected to my workhorse PC. My laptops are older and they would certanly struggle.

3. Yes, I was referring to that hissing sound. I have a bit sensitive hearing, my pc is completely silent

Anyway I returned the card and got different one. Now I have 1200 Gbit speed, and no hissing sound.

Thanks for replying, though.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1671

Replies: 2

Related Articles