Managed vs unmanaged switches

2024-05-17 16:11:29
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi everybody 

Now i use managed switches (Netgear GS308e) between several deco units (XE75-X50-M5) i always notice some weard problems i can not explain in network and deco app.

I know i have to set a Vlan, but i think it is easier to use an unmanaged switch?

Can i use unmanaged (Netgear GS108) in stead? Or which unmanaged TP-Link switch should be best?

My setup:

ISP Modem (bridged) ->Deco XE75 (router mode)-> Netgear managed switch->>> 3x Deco X50/M5

(Ps not shure of hardware versions deco's)

Yhanks for your advice!

Options
13 Reply
Re:Managed vs unmanaged switches
2024-05-20 06:18:39

@JSTM 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

An unmanaged TP-Link switch would be the best option.

May I know what problems you have experienced with Netgear GS308e:

ISP Modem (bridged) ->Deco XE75 (router mode)-> Netgear managed switch->>> 3x Deco X50/M5

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-05-20 07:24:19 - last edited 2024-05-20 11:17:03

@David-TP Hi David,

i always had some problems like *not always find internet radio with Undok app. *When i turn out my apple tv, my tv and receiver turn out with it (set hdmi cec), but almost every time  they start up again in a few seconds. I always thought it was a hdmi problem i could not find.

*My childeren always complain wifi is not good as walking with their devices through the house (but when i check i always have very good wifi in every corner of the house).*Another (very good) internet radio always starts buffering, especialy in the evening, so i always thought it was because of tv receiver with wifi (broadcoast) from neighbours, because it's wall to wall. etc.

Also much strange problems with Deco app, *like many time mention 'me' on a different device and not my iphone 12 mini. * many time mention deco stations offline. * many  times crash when i change settings. * crash when i enable guest network, and i need to restart complete system. etc.

I always use good materials like new shielded cables and brand stuff like the netgear.

As mentioned before, problems increased (a lot) when i upgraded from M4 to X20 (they were nice) to X50 and then i changed the main from X50 to XE75. Meanwhile there were these updates in deco app, especialy when the client list new style was launched, problems increased more.

So now i removed the GS308E and put in GS108, i can say, last two days 85% of my problems are gone, this is creazy!

Main question? Why!?

Yesterday i ordered some TP-Link SG108 and will see if this makes it even better.

*How would the tl-sg1005d / tl-sg1008d perform in this setting?

Kind regards,

Johan

-i had began sell al my X50 units on market place to buy a mesh system from a different brand, so to fill the gabs, i now use some M5 i have free to use from my isp, that's why there is now only one X50 and 2 M5's in my setup (XE75 remains main ). 
Now i see it has got a lot better, i am willing to give it a last try with the Deco's, so hope we can get it working in the 100% direction.

File:
IMG_3465.jpegDownload
Options
2024-05-21 01:54:19

@JSTM 

Hi, When we try to establish Ethernet Backhaul among Deco units, the unmanaged dumb switch is always the first recommendation since it is plug-and-play without extra configurations.

Using the smart switch is fine but sometimes the advanced configuration, like VLAN, and Loop Detection would block the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol which is used for the Ethernet Backhaul of Deco.

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco--Q6

I think TL-SG108 will work similarly to GS108. TL-SG1005D / TL--SG1008D also works well with Ethernet Backhaul.

TL-SG108 has a steel shell while  TL-SG1005D / TL--SG1008D has a plastic shell. A Stell shell would be better for heat dissipation.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-05-21 05:02:04

@David-TP ok, thanks!

but question, are iot, guest and main network safely seperated with an unmanaged switch?

Options
2024-05-21 07:33:51

@JSTM 

Hi, yes, Guest network is still safely separated from IOT and Main Network through an unmanaged switch.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-05-21 13:50:19

@David-TP still have problem like this with saving of settings. Messages on/offline device on guest network. Attachement.

File:
IMG_3487.pngDownload
Options
2024-05-24 09:59:30

@David-TP I am sorry that i have to tell you that after buying a brand new and installing TL-SG108 my network became instable again.

wifi internetradio buffering, not stable speedtests on wifi and cabled devices etc.

put the GS108 back and everything became normal again. Switched again to the TL-SG108, same problems again!

Now i again replaced for the GS108 and again everything back no normal.

*Tried dip switch loopinh detection on and off both times.

You can tell me why?

File:
image.jpgDownload
Options
2024-05-27 14:31:24 - last edited 2024-05-27 14:43:44

@David-TP Hi David,

So now i made this new lay out:

Modem isp-> port 1 xe75 main deco:

port 2: TP TL SG108 on which port 2-3-4 go to mesh deco's X50-M5-M5

port 3 (on XE75) to GS108 on which connected several devices like Nas-mediaplayers, 2 switches etc.

So now i have 2 switches connected to the main XE75, one for the mesh deco's and one for other devices.

(there are just some 1 or two devices wired connected before  one M5 and the X50 with TP switch on which also the M5's are connected) with tp unmanaged switches like it was, because i have no other option right now)

so all i did was seperate the lan cables from deco's and other devices.

now all seems fine, iot and guest network running all day long.

Could this realy be a solution?

looking forward for your opinion.

kind regards.

File:
IMG_3560.jpegDownload
Options
2024-05-28 03:06:18

@JSTM 

Hi, Thank you very much for the time and patience.

I think you have arranged an excellent network layout!

I'm always being told that our own switches excel at establishing Ethernet Backhaul, but not quite confident whether it is also superior on forwarding other network protocols.

Separating LAN cables from Deco units and other devices, I think helps relieve the burden of the unmanaged switches and make them focus on what they are good at. 

Best regards.

Options
2024-06-01 15:14:10 - last edited 2024-06-01 15:22:47

@David-TP Hello!

So now all went well and i bought a brand new 3 set XE75 and replaced the X50 and 2 M5 with it. So now i have only 4x Deco XE 75.

All went well, no problems. But then i noticed i have 2 different firmwares. So i found out, my main deco is hardware version 2.0 and the new 3 set is hardware version 1.0.

So at first not happy shops are selling older hardware versions. Then i did some research and found out That the version 1.0 have 1.7 quad core processors and the (newer) versions 2.0 have a much less dual core 1.0 processor! Is this realy true??

of course for faster routering etc. i wanted a faster version 1.0 to be the main and so i switched main deco in app en replaced the two.

Oh oh! Now i have no internet, no matter what i restart try or do!  So finally i switched main deco back again and only after several restarts all was fine again.....

I ask you:

(Why) are there slower processors in newer Deco's?

Why did switch main Deco not work?

(How) can i try again to switch?

I will try switching again (this week when kids are at school ;) and if i have problems again, i will reset the complete system and start at new with a Version 1.0 as main and then i will have 2 versions 1.0 and 1 version 2.0 as mesh Deco's.

Do you think this is a good solution?

I am very curious about your opinion!

Kind regards,

Johan

File:
IMG_3662.jpegDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1132

Replies: 13

Related Articles