HS100 will connect to network but Kasa always fails setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS100 will connect to network but Kasa always fails setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:HS100 will connect to network but Kasa always fails setup
2017-12-02 23:44:34

J-Mac wrote

Very similar issue here. I have a Mini Plug (HS105) that initially connected but would continually drop off the network. I finally took the advice of someone in support and removed the device in Kasa and then tried to reinstall it within Kasa. However it goes through the entire setup fine until it asks me to give it a familiar name; then it fails the renaming. It used to pop up a message saying "Setting name failed: Unable to perform request. Please check your network and try again". After Kasa updated a week or so ago, the message changed to just saying "Failed". My network connection does change from my regular home network to "TP-Link_Smart Plug_617A" when I try to add the plug back into my network, but I notice that the TP-Link network has no internet connection. Should it? Anyway this HS105 Mini Plug is completely useless to me as is. Any advice? Thank you. Jim
The TP-Link network won't have any internet connection, it creates that and your phone connects to it to save the settings to the plug, once it has saved your network settings to the plug the plug should switch over to your network and your phone should disconnect and then reconnect to the plug using the same network you set the plug up with, it is my understanding from the post earlier in this thread that this has to be done manually with IOS. Having done this a LOT, I did get quite a few "failed" when it was saving settings back to the plug, these tended to happen multiple times on the same attempt so may have been something environmental affecting the connection, in my case it may have been passing but maybe yours is always there ? Can you try setting the plug up in a different outlet in another part of your resdience and see if it helps ?
Options
Re:HS100 will connect to network but Kasa always fails setup
2017-12-15 23:33:13
Sorry to reply so late. I have tried it in several outlets including one right next to my router - I can get to the renaming screen about half the time, but all show as "Failed" when I try to save the name. I tried several different names including just a few random letters - all failed. I realized that the original name was still setup in Alexa so I deleted it out of there - still failed.

I submitted a support request with TP-Link Support and got a response asking me to reply with the Model and Serial numbers, my device's Android version, the Kasa version, and the Mini Plug's firmware version. I submitted all the requested information except the firmware version - I don’t know how to obtain that without being able to connect to the plug. And though Kasa does apparently find the plug it doesn’t actually connect and give me any access until I name it - which I can't. I haven't heard back from Support since I submitted the info. Guessing I won't now.

Thanks!
Jim
Options