all smartbulbs lost after power cut

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

all smartbulbs lost after power cut

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
36 Reply
Re:all smartbulbs lost after power cut
2018-07-26 16:19:37
You mean every time you need to reconfigure the bulb after pwoer outage?
Options
2018-07-27 01:04:07
Every time the power goes out i have to run the setup again - i'm ready to throw them out!!!
Options
2018-07-27 11:24:05
How about the firmware of the bulbs? Try to update to the latest one.
Options
2018-07-28 01:28:55
App says no updates available.......
Options
2018-07-28 01:51:05
It's probably because your router is rebooting after the outage and the app is losing track of the bulbs.

Try powering off the bulb and powering it back on (which would be the same as a power outage). See if the bulb is showing connected in your router's wifi list. Then try power cycling your router, same test.

If the bulb reconnects to your router wifi you don't need to reset/reconfigure it after a power outage. If it doesn't you probably need to replace it (it's unlikely that all would have that same defect).

Try forcing your phone to connect to your router's 2.4GHz signal/SSID on the same access point where the bulbs are connected, that may help the app find them again. Aftermarket apps (like mine) may be better at rediscovering your bulbs after a power outage.
Options
2018-07-29 02:48:19

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

It's probably because your router is rebooting after the outage and the app is losing track of the bulbs.

Try powering off the bulb and powering it back on (which would be the same as a power outage). See if the bulb is showing connected in your router's wifi list. Then try power cycling your router, same test.

If the bulb reconnects to your router wifi you don't need to reset/reconfigure it after a power outage. If it doesn't you probably need to replace it (it's unlikely that all would have that same defect).

Try forcing your phone to connect to your router's 2.4GHz signal/SSID on the same access point where the bulbs are connected, that may help the app find them again. Aftermarket apps (like mine) may be better at rediscovering your bulbs after a power outage.

i am soooo glad finally others reported this annoying issue. So, all you need to do is just make the firmware the same as for the smartplug. Those are fine, but the smartbulb firmware is just useless for serious security related applications. Come on devs, please fix it.
Options
2018-08-03 04:53:35
i've tried it all - take away power and i have to reconfigure - a real PITA. This i on all my bulbs. Wall switches and plug work just fine.....
Options
2018-08-03 08:54:55
I'd have to think it's something with your router. It seems very unlikely more than one bulb would have that same hardware fault. Did you try moving one of them closer to the router? I know that's not a solution, it's for troubleshooting - it would mean you need to reposition your router or use an extender.

If you take away and then restore power to the bulb (move it to a handy lamp for testing) and the bulb flashes and starts broadcasting it's own SSID then it is a hardware fault. If not it's still configured, but it may be having trouble connecting or it's the app that's losing track of it. Double check in your router status to see if it's still connected. Firmware 1.7.1 is the latest and a bit more stable wrt wifi, you may need to force it manually if you're on an older version.
Options
2018-08-03 19:52:32
Good morning - If I turn the lamp off, and then back on - it starts broadcasting. Has lost configuration!!! One lamp is right next to the router and BTW, this is the second router I have had with this same problem. Only for the bulbs.....looks like there is no remedy - time to switch manufactures i guess....Thank goodness it's only 2 bulbs. Anyone know of software that can control multiple manufacturer's items? I like the Kasa app and don't want multiple apps when i'm not at home....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions
Options
2018-08-03 21:07:12
I'd wait about 10 minutes, then check the bulb connection status in the router to be certain. Losing it's configuration is unusual but it certainly would be a hardware problem - you might be able to get a replacement from TP Link.

My app (AutomationManager) supports multiple bulb types and provides remote access. You run it on an old device that stays on location and connect to it remotely using your carry phone or a web browser (it harnesses the google cloud).
Options