Kasa app losing connectivity to smart plugs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa app losing connectivity to smart plugs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:Kasa app losing connectivity to smart plugs
2019-12-24 01:32:53

@DLW yes it probably is, but they were all working up until about 3 days ago... that's the weird thing, and they aren't getting the red wifi led indicating that they aren't connected, it is the flashing grean wifi led.

So this morning I created a new 2.4 Ghz only wifi network and reset them all and re added to it.

All seems to be ok now.

The one thing that I noticed from a few people is that they are using a Mesh Network, as am I, and wondered if the switches were paired with one of the access points that they can nolonger reach... just a thought anyway.

But as I said they are all good now ready to impress the family and friends tomorrow. "Alexa turn on the Christmas lights " bing !!

Thanks for contacting me so quickly !!

Merry Chrismas and all that !!

Cheers

John

Options
2019-12-24 13:42:36

@clambier

Maybe because the smart plugs are still linked to the 2.4 wifi ( so no red or orange or whatever it is) but you can't see them on the app if you are on the 5 wifi. I think my mesh is all 2.4. if you have mesh pods and you are satisfied with the speed and coverage you could just turn off the 5 wifi so that your phone can't connect? On my mesh app I can see exactly what smart plugs are connecting to each pod.

Options
2020-11-24 14:11:42 - last edited 2020-11-24 14:13:37

@clambier 

I noticed that it doesn't matter whether I use the 5 G or 2.4 G internet. When the app connects the smart plugs, it connects on either. The only problem is if I don't check in with my app for awhile, then my phone saves storage space by sort of getting rid of the app while leaving the icon there. Whenever I download the app back onto my phone, I have a problem with the devices needing to be readded in order to to be adjusted on the app. If I try to click on the greyed out smart plug, I get "devices may be powered off or out of network range" error.

The devices still usually work as scheduled. Sometimes if they lose internet service, they won't switch on/off, and some plugs are in hard to reach areas, so that's when it'd be helpful to have a working app.

Options
Re:Kasa app losing connectivity to smart plugs-Solution
2020-11-25 06:00:00 - last edited 2020-11-25 11:06:50

@clambier 

I ended up creating a whole new network from another router all on 2.4 and not using the mesh network. 
worked fine.

Recommended Solution
Options