Votes

Sharing devices between multiple accounts

Votes

Sharing devices between multiple accounts

86 Reply
Re:Sharing devices between multiple accounts
2020-10-21 23:51:36 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

I am growing increasingly tired of "smart" technology that is rather is "dumb". angry

LG got this right with their ThinQ app. They account for the fact that people live in a HOUSEHOLD with a FAMILY. I was able to link the washer with my wife's account in a matter of seconds. Now, both of us recieve a notification when the washer has completed a load.

The fact that I am experiencing the same problem as the OP's post after almost 2 years even further showcases the devs complete ignornace of how their products are used in the real world. no

Options
2020-11-03 02:02:21 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@k1DBLITZ It's a smart home app, and you should only need one account per household, not multiple accounts. We use an email just for these things - the SO and I both have app control, beyond the Google Home control that everyone already has access to for turning lights on/off, dimming, color changing, etcetera.

Options
2020-11-20 00:55:17 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

Agreed, we need the ability to share devices!

Two years after the original post, and this is still not available. Other brands like Wyze have had the ability to share for some time now.

Please add this feature.

Options
2020-12-11 23:47:50 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@Reeset When you say, "you" in "you should need only one account per household" are you speaking in the singular "you" sense, or the more general "you?" I can't speak for everyone, but sure, living in your mom's basement, it's easy to have a short-sighted view of all possible home situations and scenarios in which these devices might be used. I mean why would anyone need more than one phone for use at home? Just put it next to the wonder bread when you are done.

In my particular situation, I don't want my younger children to have unfettered access to every remotely controllable device from one account, but creating entire separate accounts based on different permissions when devices themselves are exclusively mapped to a single account is hardly convenient. We need a many-to-many relationship between devices and accounts, or maybe the ability to define roles.

Options
2021-01-13 04:57:48 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@CrystiLei 

I like the Kasa App, it connects and runs easily, but I can't believe that you can't share either a group of devices or a single device without giving someone else your account code.  You can do that with ITEAD/Sonoff devices using EweLink, and you can do it with most other devices using SmartLife.  The KASA devices run only on KASA and that app does not allow you to easily share devices.  Even if you give another person the account and password, the devices do not show up with the pictures that you have assigned for Icons.

Had I known that sharing was not implemented, I would not have bought TP-Link devices at all.  Is there any other app that supports TP-Link smart devices?

CrystiLei wrote

Hi,

Is it possible for multiple Kasa accounts to access the same device? My husband and I would both like access to the TP-Link smart plugs but they are already linked to his account and it doesn't appear that I can add them to mine without removing them from his. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

C.

Options
2021-02-08 16:09:50 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17
Where is the update to resolve this issue? There should be a process for the main account holder to authorize additional users and set access/permissions for each device. This needs to be resolved asap. Unacceptable.
Options
2021-02-09 00:33:10 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@CrystiLei , et al

I like the KASA application but there are several things that I wish I had known before I upgraded all my devices to TP-Link...  These are fatal flaws!

1.  If the Internet is down, the devices do not continue to cycle.  This is what occurs with EweLink and the ITEAD/Sonoff devices.  A system failure should not mean that your home stays dark!

2.  There is no provision for a restoration of power mode.  If a light is on and the power fails, when power is restored the light will stay off.  This sucks, if you are not home, your house will just stay dark, alerting everyone that no one is home, when power is restored.

You cannot share devices with another member of the family of a neighbor, without sharing with them your account name and password.  Sharing account names and passwords is a fatal security flaw!

4.  I liked the ability to take photos and assign them to switches and plugs, like SmartLife.  But, even if you give someone else your account and password, the pictures do not transfer over to their device.

Since I had bought and installed 16 devices, I will not be ab le to make an immediate switch, but by this time next year, I will have no TP-Link devices unless these are all addressed.  In the meantime, do not by TP-Link DUMB ooHome devices!

Options
2021-06-14 11:03:08 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

Sharing devices between multiple accounts is a very big struggle for me. I always forget the passwords and spend a lot of time remembering them.

Options
2021-06-20 22:27:18 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

Sharing devices between multiple accounts is a very big struggle for me.

Options
2021-07-15 17:42:52 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@Reeset 

There are lots of instances when I really need this feature which is no my other devices. Cleaning lady, pool man, and sometimes I have long term guests at my house. I have to share my account with them that then allows them to control ALL my devices, which is much less secure than if I just shared the pool switch with the man and the house lights with the cleaning lady. And I have 2 devices at my office that I had to create a completely separate account for. So then I have to log in and out to control them. 

I like the quality of your devices but I am beginning to replace them with other brands because of this issue. I was hoping you would up data this but it has been 2 years . 

Brad

Options

Voters 42

+ 38 Voters