Votes

Sharing devices between multiple accounts

Votes

Sharing devices between multiple accounts

86 Reply
Re:Sharing devices between multiple accounts
2023-03-17 04:00:10

@Solla-topee I'd definitely use a device or home sharing feature if it was added to the app. Google Home already has it, so it allows people to use their own accounts and, where applicable, their own settings preferences to access the devices that have been added to the home. What is really useful is that it allows users who may have access to more than one home - in my case, my parents' and my own - to access both without needing to log out of one account and into another every time they want to view/control a device or move between homes. They appear in drop down tabs in exactly the same way multiple homes appear in the Kasa app, so from a user interface point of view Kasa already has all the right things in place. It just needs an ability to invite other users to connect to your home from their own account.

Options
2023-04-03 06:53:46 - last edited 2023-04-03 06:55:27

You are joking right?  You should NEVER share usernames and passwords for anything.  I've been in IT for 20 years, and no company I know would allow multiple users under the same account FOR ANYTHING.

Options
RE:Sharing devices between multiple accounts
2023-04-05 13:28:59
Pretty basic feature.. all other smart home platforms have this.
Options
2023-04-19 03:07:18

@Solla-topee 

Here is a very good use case for sharing.  My mother is in assisted living and I setup a camera so I can watch to make sure she is ok and if she falls I can have a recording to see what happened.  My brother and I both want to be able to view the cam but we also have our own cams and devices.  Currently I have to keep logging in and out of Kasa depending on if I want to see her cam or mine.  That makes quickly checking on her very difficult.  I would imagine there are 1000's of people doing exactly this.  I agree with others in that this is something TP-Link should have designed at the start.  I am not trying to be difficult but this is not something you should need examples for.  When I buy a car I assume it will have air conditioning.  I never have to ask if it does.  That is standard.  And if I did have to ask I would not expect the salesman to ask me a use case of wanting an air conditioner.  I am like others in that I have invested a lot in your products and was suprised when I tried to share my mom's cam and could not.  I also have the Alexa app and Alexa works with all Kasa products except the cams or I could use Kasa for viewing my mom's cams and Alexa for mine.

Options
2023-04-19 03:09:14
Here is a very good use case for sharing. My mother is in assisted living and I setup a camera so I can watch to make sure she is ok and if she falls I can have a recording to see what happened. My brother and I both want to be able to view the cam but we also have our own cams and devices. Currently I have to keep logging in and out of Kasa depending on if I want to see her cam or mine. That makes quickly checking on her very difficult. I would imagine there are 1000's of people doing exactly this.
Options
2023-04-23 17:35:20
We need to be able to share devices(house camera) with other people. This is extremely important.
Options
2023-05-17 07:54:51
Seems pretty straight forward
Options
2023-05-17 19:36:20 - last edited 2023-05-17 19:41:03

@CrystiLei 

TP-Link requires you to share your account information in order to share devices.  Ewelink, a free and lower cost hardware competitor allows you to simply send the devices you wish to share to anyone.  They can accept or deny the device and if accepted they can operate the device, but not change it.  They also allow you to specify power fail recovery as on, off or last state.  Not so TP-Link.  I believe that TP-Link is now both obsolete and insecure.    I am replacing all my TP-Link devices and will not use Kasa or TP-Link.

I do not recommend them to anyone else.  Paying premium prices for hardware supported by poor software!

CrystiLei wrote

Hi,

Is it possible for multiple Kasa accounts to access the same device? My husband and I would both like access to the TP-Link smart plugs but they are already linked to his account and it doesn't appear that I can add them to mine without removing them from his. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

C.

Options
2023-07-05 16:47:08
The initial account creator/user (admin) should be able to send an invite to users he/she wants using that site/switches. Under My acccount, you should have a link that says "Add other users" It takes them to a new screen, where you fill out the name, email address and phone number who needs access. Once the form is filled, prompt the user to select the "Home/Site and whether it is all desvices or specific devices. It should be nested with blank check boxes next to each site/device [ ] Home 1 [X] All [ ] Switch 1 [ ] Light 1 [ ] Home 2 [ ] All [X ] Switch 1 [ ] Dimmer 1
Options
2023-07-05 19:04:16

@Ravi4242 There is no such an option in Kasa app...

Options

Voters 42

+ 38 Voters