Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
74 Reply
Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-12-03 05:41:31

@JimT1000 I had the same problem and was frustrated when my plugs and lights became intermittently "Local Only".  It wasn't until I rebooted my router that I realized it was the comcast gateway.  I replaced the gateway and the problem is fixed.  No firmware upgrades, no delete and reinstall of the plugs needed.  Start by simply rebooting your gateway.  Hope this helps.

Options
2019-12-03 05:50:55

@thelopi  rebooted many times....no joy

Options
2019-12-03 13:32:30

I want to turn them off remotely and the setting is gone. It's a tv device I have three networks, all are part of a bigger network but tplink doesn't see them as one, and I don't want to have to figure out which network I'm connected to/the tplink is connected to early in the morning/late at night when I switch the device connected to the TV off because it's going to take me a while due to restarting the app and whatnot/piss me off.

Going back to the old app wasn't working earlier today. I'll give it another chance tonight.

Seriously hope its a bug that gets fixed soon.

Options
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-12-26 12:35:11 - last edited 2020-03-14 18:09:13

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Edit: Still waiting as my issue is not solved yet tubemate get-mobdro.com authorityapk.com

Options
2019-12-26 18:42:34 - last edited 2021-07-10 23:48:59

@David_Hoang_560 

Hello everyone, my issue has been solved as i upgraded my router. My wifi signal is stronger than before and the HS200 connects and works well already for few months since changing rounter. I think most of problem/issues are from network. If you have the same problems, just try first with the wifi network which giving stronger signal and more stable to HS200. 

Options
2019-12-27 08:28:49

Hi all, 

If you have the same issue, below are some suggestion you can try:

1. Update the kasa app version and firmware version of the actual device. 

2. If you have multiple TP-Link smart devices but only a few of them have this issue, you can swap the locations of the affected/unaffected device to do a comparison analysis.

3. Try to move it closer to the main router to get stronger signal strength. 

4. Try to adjust the wireless settings of main router to optimize its performance, like wireless channel and channel width; like channel 1, 6 and 11 + channel width 20MHz for 2.4GHz; And you can reserve an IP address for the affected device to give it a go.

5. You can update the firmware version of the main router.

6. Besides, reset and reconfigure is worth to try. 

If this issue cannot be fixed via the troubleshooting methods mentioned above, please provide the information below to do further analysis. 

1. The model number of affected device, and its hardware/firmware version and its MAC address; 

2. The kasa app version. The troubleshooting you have done and the corresponding results.

3. The model number of the main router.

4. The screenshot of the device page on the KASA APP.

Thanks for your kindly support and cooperation in advance.

Options
2019-12-27 19:52:46 - last edited 2019-12-27 19:55:56

I have been fighting the Local Only problem for months, and finally solved it (at least, solved it for me). Bottom-Line-Up-Front: Set ALL of your smart devices to a new Reserved IP address in your router. Read on...

Mine boiled down to a bad DHCP lease from my router.  My router provided an IP and Subnet to the smart switch, so I was able to get to it Local Only, with the Kasa app. But it was not providing a proper DNS and Gateway, so the switch wasn't getting to the internet.  I solved this by adding the switch's MAC address to my reserved IP table of my DHCP server (on the router).  When I did this, I gave it a different IP than what it was currently using, outside of the DHCP pool, saved it, and restarted the switch.  And it has worked perfectly ever since!  By giving it a *different* IP from what it was using, it forced the lease to update with the full credentials, and as it is now reserved, it doesn't lose it anymore. *Works*Perfectly*

My Best Practice suggestion:

I have now set up an additional WIFI access point, dedicated entirely to my home automation devices. It is 2.4ghz for wall penetration, SSID turned off, and set with an iron-clad (20char) wifi password. It is set up as an access point, so it simply relays the configuration from my main router.  *All* of my Smart devices are set with reserved IP addresses (15 devices). And I have no more problems.

Note: One of the reasons why my IP leases weren't working right...  There was something wrong with my DHCP lease expiration timeout, and *none* of my leases were expiring on my router.  Once the pool of 99 IPs had been exhaused, my switches were dropping off, and I was getting all sorts of Local Only issues. This would also explain why some people on here fixed their problem by upgrading their router...  A new router would re-issue an entirely new IP lease, forcing the switch to update it's DNS/Gateway. 

Hope this helps someone!

Options
2020-01-03 15:19:15

@PeterG Thank you very much for this!

I posted here a while ago saying that I suspected the problem we were experincing was due to network configuration.

As I'm not very network-savvy yet, I wasn't able to diagnose the problem but was shure it wasn't the smart plugs as they worked on other networks from different houses.

Mine didn't work in the office where I work. I know they have a different configuration and the network is larger than the typical home, with many routers.

I encourage everyone having this "Local Only" issue to try @PeterG 's fix.

Options
2020-01-07 13:24:55

I don't have the time or expertise to go through all this network troubleshooting and constant rebooting/resetting.  Sadly, TP link smart plugs replaced with Amazon smartplugs was my solution.  As much as I wanted to support this company, there's no point in having smart plugs if I can't  control them remotely.  At least I know Amazon will keep up with updates that allow their devices to remain functional.

Options
2020-01-07 15:19:47 - last edited 2020-01-07 15:27:34

@Pipedog I also bought Amazon Smart Plugs to try out and all 3 of them have a critical issue, according to my tests:

THEY TURN OFF WHEN THEY ARE DISCONNECTED FROM THE INTERNET AFTER A COUPLE MINUTES!!!

Can you imagine that?! I have tried all 3 of them in different networks and buildings. I also tried them with different devices, as I thought I might have been overloading them. But no, even with the smallest of loads (like a lamp with a single LED bulb or a Wyze Cam), the "Smart" Plug turns off if it becomes offline, and then it doesn't even turn on automatically.

Needless to say, this is unacceptable for a Smart Plug. For example, if an outdoor night light is connected to your Amazon Smart Plug, and the internet goes down for a couple minutes in the middle of the night, the light will turn off and then remain off for the rest of the night. Same for a security camera, computer, fan; etc.

Other downsides, in my opinion, are:

- The Amazon Smart Plugs can't be controlled locally without an internet connection.

- The on/off button is small and hard to feel and press, especially if the smart plug is located somewhere hard to reach.

I really like the physical design of the TP-Link Smart Plugs as well as the Kasa app. I wish they could just listen to us and fix these network issues so we can keep using this great product. If I were you, I would find some YouTube tutorials on how to change the settings in your network or ask a techy friend to help you so you don't lose your investment.

In the meantime, another alternative is to buy Smart Life compatible Smart Plugs from brands like GoSund , Teckin; etc. They have great reviews on Amazon and all the light switches I have and control from the Smart Life app work instantaneously in local mode. They are usually cheaper as well.

Options