Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
74 Reply
Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2021-06-30 23:33:15

@Tone21 I was able to make these remote switches work again and they have been working since. There can be several problems, the easiest fix for most of them is to reset the device, wiping out your initial configuration, and install anew. Then upgrade the firmware if needed. Another person's suggestion to make sure that your router's DNS settings are to common servers (e.g., Google's 8.8.8.8 and so on; there are many more recommended such as 1.1.1.1).

All of this said, if you lose access when you are not physically at the switch's location, I have found nothing you can do to regain it. This is a major problem with remote switches. In my view it is not truly a remote switch if, on unpredictable occasions, you have to be physically present to reconfigure it. This puts the switch more in the category of being a toy.

Options
2021-07-01 02:38:04 - last edited 2021-07-01 02:39:49

@Tone21  Hello, 

From cloud, most of the smart switches are offline, that means if your cell phone is using 3G/4G mobile data (not connected to house Wi-Fi), they should be unreachable on Kasa app. To make them online, you could try a reboot on router, and also press the " restart"  button ( on the right bottom) and see if they could reconnect to router and cloud. 

If that does not help, you could try the suggestions provided by @RobT , changing router's DNS to 8.8.8.8, or reset the switch(remove from app) and reinstall them. 

Options
2021-07-01 06:27:09

@RobT Thank you RobT. I appreciate your input.  I'll give it a shot. I had the Wink smart hub and they started to charge for remote connections.  I just hope it's not the same with these devices or the inability to connect. I agree in having switches that are reliable and work.  Again thank you for your input. I'll reset those devices this weekend.  It's just a pain to have to go through this for every switch.  Your help was greatly appreciated. 

Options
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2021-07-10 22:47:30
This is not a viable solution. I did the same thing and mine is still stuck on "Local Only" mode. Don't be mislead by this post as a be-all-end-all solution. It might have worked for some but definitely not for everyone. I am a living example of this.
Options
2021-07-12 02:18:01

@The_Mel Hi, please check my reply on your other post here

Options
2021-08-30 17:49:10

@JimT1000 i have tried this more than i can count and it's still giving me issues! I even removed from  them from the Alexa app and still no luck. HELP! 

Options
2021-08-30 17:55:59

@JimT1000 : I solved this problem by getting new wifi rounter which produced more strength and stable wifi signal. I Got wifi 6 Deco rounter and it is on use for morecthan one year. No more problem!

Options
2022-02-05 17:57:36

waiting as my issue is not solved yet

Options
2022-02-05 17:57:59

waiting as my issue is not solved yet

Options
2022-02-05 17:58:39

@JimT1000 waiting as my issue is not solved yet