HS300 Random power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS300 Random power cycle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
76 Reply
Re:HS300 Random power cycle
2020-10-06 20:00:23

@Robautomator 

I left a message for the Manager who recently helped me (He's a great guy), I'm glad that he relayed message over to this forums support team. Hopefully they can sent the units to their engineers to perform testing and isolate the problem. (For the record, 9/13 was the last time power cycle happened on my unit with iOS app, since then using Android App and no issues at all)

I do feel same about how they handle the RMA and return process which will obviously hurt them in the long run. For comparison, I had an issue with Chamberlin Wifi Garage opener, within the short duration of troubleshooting call, they shipped a brand new unit and did not even ask to ship defective unit back. So in my book i will buy chamberlin products with confidence knowing i will get tremendous support. 

Options
2020-10-09 03:41:05

@NomanA 

Good day.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

May I know where are you guys located?

And did anyone already get a replacement from TP-Link and is the replacement working properly?

Later if anyone who still had the same issue and did not return the product yet, please send an email to support@tp-link.com with the subject # Forum 178634 HS300 Random power cycle.

We would be very glad that you could help us get more details about this case.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and support.

Options
2020-10-09 15:23:54

Same problem here. Random power-cycles several times a day. It basically renders the strip completely useless as I had a NAS and a PC connected to it. I was hoping to buy another one for a TV setup but not gonna happen...

Firmware version: 1.0.19

Options
2020-10-12 20:56:33

@Brook I have two units--bit the bullet and paid the $15 upcharge for basic product support for one of them already. Definitely going alternative routes for smart power strips in the future, after seeing what the product and support turned out to be.

I'm curious--"anyone who still had the same issue and did not return the product yet, please send an email to support@tp-link.com with the subject # Forum 178634 HS300 Random power cycle." --What's the plan of action here? What can we expect after we send this email?

Options
2020-10-13 20:31:59

The new unit arrived today and I installed it a couple hours ago--just got a power cycle on the brand new unit already, followed by a power cycle one of the old units a few minutes later. Looks like these units are just broken out of the box.

Options
2020-10-13 23:16:33

@Robautomator 

Sorry to hear about the trouble still continues.

Do you have an android phone? If you have an android device, sign-out and uninstall iOS Kasa app and use the Android Kasa App for a few days. I think the problem lies in the iOS app but i really dont have a concrete evidence to back my claim.

Options
2020-10-14 05:36:09

@NomanA I use only Android devices.  And, I have two of the power strips.  Both have this reboot issue.

Options
2020-10-14 06:09:58

@DjMartin2020 

thanks for the feedback. I guess im just lucky that switching kasa app over to my Android phone has fixed the problem (at-least it hasn't happened since then : Knock on the wood lol). Since this issue appear to be widespread i hope kasa engineers isolate it and solve it for eveyone.

Options
2020-10-14 06:42:19

@NomanA Thanks for the suggestion--I unfortunately have already tried singing out/uninstalling the app and the issue persisted for days afterward.

Options
2020-10-14 13:09:29
The app is only connected to the TP Link when it's running, so it seems less likely it's app related. Sounds like the firmware might be crashing and restarting - you'd see the LED blinking if so. Could be the on board power supply is wonky and drops out, but I'd expect it to happen more often if that was the case. Years ago there were reports of some restarting because the neutral wire from the wall wasn't stable, might be worth trying on a different circuit. It was never confirmed, but a weak wifi signal might have been causing some crashes restarts too - so maybe try closer to the router to see. If you have any APs it's very difficult to know where it's connected - sometimes they pick the weaker AP - ideally dedicate a unique SSID so you can force where the connect. Weak signals might cause multiple reconnects to overflow memory causing a crash.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options