Tapo C200 only 2 minutes for live viewing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tapo C200 only 2 minutes for live viewing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
42 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 only 2 minutes for live viewing
2021-06-08 09:52:57 - last edited 2021-06-08 09:53:58

@CarlosArsene 

I my case is the same, i am using for baby monitoring, it is unacceptable to lost the video and refresh the app every 5 minutes. I need a quick update with the solutions. Is not good idea to use 3rd part apps, open ports, route your modem etc. even if standard users can able to manage all this things, in some servers you don't have access to all this settings. I am using same network for camera and monitoring device(phone), Please solve this problem as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Options
2021-06-23 11:20:29 - last edited 2021-06-23 11:24:19

come ooonn, wtf, i have bought 9 cameras for this sh1t, and can't view. I'm getting that notification on my WIFI connection, i have a tablet that doesn't have a sim in it at all, and i still have to click every 2 fking minutes on this. THEY ARE USELESS WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT MY BANDWIDTH ? IF I CAN AFFORD 9 FKING CAMERAS, CLEARY MY BANDWIDTH IT'S NOT A PROBLEM. PLEASE SEND US A SOLUTION OR THEY GO BACK !!!!!!!

Options
Re:Tapo C200 only 2 minutes for live viewing-Solution
2021-06-25 09:27:37 - last edited 2022-06-15 09:39:58

2022/05  added troubleshooting step of ping test and collect camera log 

Hello everyone, 

If you could not stream Tapo camera continuously, please read this FAQ that helps explain the situation:

Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

To stream Tapo camera in Tapo APP continuously,  make sure your mobile devices are connected to home Wi-Fi /under local network. 

When the phone is watching live view remotely,  ' Tap to continue' warning may pop up  around  2~5 mins.

If your device is under local Wi-Fi but still prompts Tap to continue to message, try to troubleshoot as steps here: 

STEP1: Make sure you have turned off Mobile data on phone, and phones are connected to Home Wi-Fi

NOTE that if one of the phone is using mobile data or non-local Wi-Fi at that time, that may trigger the warning

STEP2: Turn off AP isolation and lower firewall level on host router 

Check if phone/ cam connects to an isolated network, like Guest Wi-Fi, a different VLAN. 

STEP3: For IOS 14 devices, allow 'Local Network' permission for Tapo app on IOS devices. 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/293

STEP4: Ensure Tapo APP and camera firmware is up-to-date. 

If your mobile device is connected to local Wi-Fi but still has warning, please Start a New thread  with information here , we could look into it further: 

1>  Model of router  & network topology, e.g.: Archer C7 router  <wireless>Tapo C200 

2> Model of your mobile device and its Android or IOS version

3>  Model and Mac address of your camera (please share MAC address to us via private message)

4>  A photo of error message & time

5>   Tapo APP version

6>  Get the log of camera when issue occurs 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera?

7> When error pops up, try to ping camera IP on the phone and see if there is any time out ( this is to check if communication between local devices is fine) 

follow 2.Check the delay between a camera and a phone on local network in instruction below

How to check the network connection stability of a Tapo Camera

Pic : enable Local Network for Tapo APP on iPhone

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-24 13:58:56

This is very annoying.  I am using the camera to watch my sleeping in the other room while I study.  I can't focus on studying if this issue persists.  I have to constantly refresh the app even if I am connected in the same WiFi.  It didn't have this problem before your recent update was pushed.  Now, I have this stupid issue.

Our bandwidth is our concern, not yours.  If I am accessing the camera using my phone while I am driving, so I have a constant view of my baby while I am away from home, It's my problem.  I have unlimited data, so that is not an issue for me.  At least make this stupid refresh optional.  I don't need it and your device is as useless as it is if this continues to be an issue.

It used to be a 10 min pop-up, now it's a 2 minute refresh requirement.  This is total BS.

Options
2021-09-01 10:46:25

Is there an update yet??? TP Link?? 1 year since the issue first was reported. Apparently you don't care???

Options
2021-09-08 16:42:23

@CarlosArsene 

This is to save TP Link's bandwidth, not ours! I have 1000 Mbps connection and unlimited data!

I got this camera to use with my Google Nest Displays and I want to be able to keep the feed for my cameras active all the time I am not doing anything else! I am not using my phone, neither I want to. I paid more than what I would for a cheap generic camera because I wanted full Google Home support. We also can't do simple things like moving the camera with commands, why is that? Google or TP Link limitation (sorry for being a bit out of topic on this matter, but since I am writing here, maybe someone can do something about it too).

Did anybody using Google Home / Assistant / Nest Hub find a solution?

Options
2021-09-09 13:11:04

@CarlosArsene now why would you assume it would work with google, we are trying to view the freaking camera on a phone app, and you want voice commands attached to it ? :)))) and for the record, no my ipad without the sim and my wife's iphone still need to click CONTINUE every fking 2 minutes. managed to get it working on andoird but the iphone and ipad simply won't work. 

Options
2021-09-09 13:25:55

@angrycustomer9 I don't know... maybe because it's advertised as "works with google Assistant"...

If it works with Google Assistant we should have access to all the commands we see on their own app via assistant, including panning and streaming without time constraints.

They create all those restrictions intentionally so they can lift them slowly with newer versions of their hardware to make people buy again the same items just for the sake of the software where even an old 360p camera (if with wi-fi) should be able to do, since you just need the video signal sent over the network and the app does the rest.

Google also should give better support and cameras and platforms should communicate between each other using an open standardized protocol for all basic functionality (audio, video, panning, night vision, LED off and on etc).

Of course, they profit from all this mess they create in the first place and they know that people who can will pay 200 dollars for a Nest Camera just do avoid dealing with this.

Options
2021-09-10 09:22:57

@angrycustomer9 @Sam26 @lenrox 

I updated some information in this thread, can you give it a try and see if that helps, thank you. 

Options
2021-09-10 09:39:15 - last edited 2021-09-10 09:40:32

@SimArchitect  Good day,

We appreciated your feedback about the time restriction when view Tapo camera on Google device, this is actually normal when as our official FAQ explains here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2720/

Third-party device including Google Home Hub, Echo show ,fire TV etc. use cloud to cloud service, not local streaming, there will be a time limitation to avoid the data being wasted or drained. This is the current design, for continuous streaming, you could try to use Tapo APP (locally) or RTSP streaming on computers (locally) here :

(How can I play an RTSP live stream of my Tapo camera)  https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2680/

Options
Related Articles