Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

107 Reply
Re:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2021-11-24 19:25:30 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

The only words I have is to pretty much echo what everyone else has said.

What a complete joke. I started with with a Smart bulb from Kasa, due to one blowing a few years ago. As they have been replaced i've purchased replacement TP link bulbs.

Seems 'tp-link' isn't a brand anymore, (they've always had great tech products including network switches). Sounds like I will never be buying another tp-link device again.

Anymore know how to sideload/firmware flash lightbulbs to a different app. because that is where I'm heading, i'm not using an company app if they are doing this stuff, there is no technical reason for the two apps. (HomeAssistant can manage both so why not the app from the vendor direct?)

Options
2021-11-24 22:41:29 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

Adding my 2c here too

Such a bad product design to have 2 incompatible, but so similar products

Options
2021-11-26 12:10:24 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

Different apps, different lines, different teams, fine. What about the KASA app recognizing TAPO products and the TAPO app recognizing KASA products? After all, they are all TP-LINK products!

Options
2021-12-15 10:06:45 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z 

wow crappy response. 
I wish I found this thread earlier as I would not have wasted my money on new P100 plugs :(

im another Kasa user who does not want to run two different Apps. Not good. 

Options
2021-12-30 07:40:51 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch 

For this reason I do not buy tapo and continue with different brand. No reason to use 2 different app with the same products.

Options
2022-01-12 14:21:04 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Solla-topee 

TP-LInk is misleading customers as the original OP pointed out over a year ago.

It clearly states on the TP-Link website even today (12/01/2022  link - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/smarthome/)

Repeat - you can run your ENTIRE TP-Link smart home ecosystem from Kasa.

When you click on the Smart Plugs or Smart bulbs link it displays the Tapo range of products. Are you now telling me these are not part of the TP-Link smart home ecosystem.

Which ever way you look at it, the advertising is grossly misleading.

I fell into this trap, bought some Tapo bulbs to compliment my Kasa devices and found I needed another app. I have returned the bulbs and will not by another TP-Link device. What guarantee do I have you won't do it again by launching a new range of devices with yet another app.

Instead I have purchased another manufacturers devices - if I must have two apps I might aswell switch to another company in the hope they will be better at integrating new and older devices in one app.

Options
2022-02-03 23:38:20 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@GT53 Came here to say the same as others, honesty just going to throw this in the bin. Same company making two different ecosystems, with two different apps, for products that are both aimed at the same market.

I am not using one app for some TP-LInk plugs, and another app for the other TP-Link plugs. I simply dont see any reason after all this time they couldnt merge the app, assuming they just dont want to, or couldn't be bothered. Either way, i'll move elsewhere.

Options
2022-02-14 16:09:09 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33
Bahh this is the final nail in the tp link coffin, im going try and get what little money back that i can on 12 cameras and 8 hs100’s. Because ive spent a load more on tapo equipment that isnt even compatible.. and the answers given just annoy me. Zero pro active help just fobbed off. To be fair im not even upset, the cameras are useless anyway, often missing movement regardless of setting or constantly triggering all day long… no medium. Hikvision might be the way forward i hear their support service is second to none with genuine effort
Options
2022-04-01 14:06:28 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch This is an appalling deficiency of tp link.  I am a senior technologist having worked at several major pc companies, including intel.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that both device families can't be controlled under one single app.  It is a very important aspect of reputable marketing practice not to leave ones customers strung out with this level of inoperability as product families are introduced.  This is particularly important in one functional area such as Smart Home.   TP link used to be a very good brand.  I would suggest that potential customers now avoid the company like the plague given this sort of casual indifference.

Options
2022-04-27 13:16:48 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch I just spoke to KASA support last week about issues with a hs200 switch and inquired about the TAPO line as I wanted a remote switch/button.  It is not available yet but they did not mention anything about it being incompatible, so I am glad I saw this thread as I was about to purchase more of the Kasa switches.  I agree that the company is not managing this well.

Options

Voters 34

+ 30 Voters