Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

107 Reply
Re:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2022-05-04 20:15:58 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z 

"The Kasa and Tapo are two different product lines/Intelligent House Systems"

Only in hypothetical abstraction theory.

I have a HS110, and a P110

As a home user, as far as I'm concerned, they both monitor and log how much electricity I'm using on the socket. They're practically the same task, and you've named them near the same model except for the letters used (HS vs P).

You've forced me to install two different apps and login to two different apps, to do the exact same thing, they share the same functionality.

The only difference is the software, perhaps the protocols behind the scenes (which can still be hidden to the user but presented in the same app) and that you've 'end of lined' the HS110.

Options
2022-05-28 01:32:18 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z   That's ridiculous.  I now have older TP

Indoor cameras running in my house that use a tpCamera iPhone app, external wireless cameras that run on the Kasa app. My TPlink mesh system requires a separate Deco app and now you have a new Tapo line that requires yet a fourth app.  You don't need to have  worked in software and networking space for 35 years as I hav to know that this is a terrible customer experience. 

Options
2022-06-12 10:09:30 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@SanFranUser so glad I found this out now. Absolutely stupid decision to have 2 separate economic systems and apps to manage under one indistinct brand. 

Back in the box and returned.

Will use a generic that will manage through Google & home assistant. Was gonna use TP-LINK for cctv poe network as well as deco too but will forget that. Stupid decisions will cost them more money and one day they might actually listen to what consumers want rather than some white Johnson in an ivory tower.

Options
2022-07-05 17:49:33 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

How absurd!

I was about to get some new cloud cameras to extend my kasa  smart home line.

Now seeing that these Tapo devices and plugs are unable to communicate via the kasa app is the so stupid and unnecessary i have no words.

People get these things to have an SMART HOME and to have things easy not to install 2,3 or even more apps doing he same thing!!

Thats it TP-Link,

you have lost another customer.

Bye

Options
2022-09-04 13:53:30 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

Ridiculous. I have Kasa smart bulbs in the whole house except for my GU10 spotlights. Finally noticed GU10 bulbs are on the way, only to find they are Tapo and won't work with the Kasa app. I love TP-Link and my Deco setup is great, but unfortunately going to have to ditch my Kasa bulbs to find an ecosystem that is controllable from the one app. Really stupid business decision.

Options
2022-09-20 05:42:24 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

TP-Link are too lazy to develop a proper app. That is all this comes down and nothing more. 3rd party apps available for iOS at least that pick up both families. Useless company. This app is easy to

find and has paid/subscription features but it clearly shows TP-Link are just lazy and don't care about their customers.

watt-app search on google should find it.

Options
2022-10-18 13:52:45 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Solla-topee 

I have registered just to say that I will not be buying anything from TP-Link, due to this, which is a shame as the products themselves seem good.

It's completely irresponsible to say that "we have different departments and product lines" as though that is an excuse.  That is a decision that TP-Link have made, not the consumers, and if you have made a very bad decision, that's not then an excuse for the repercussions of that decision.

As mentioned before, your advertising says you can control all things from one app, which is just clearly a lie.  False advertising.

We are not running your business, but you are surely ruining it like like.

It would be pretty easy to have the new app support older devices, it's only a software engineering challenge, it is absolutely not impossible, it's just about sending device specific payloads.  I say this as a seasoned software engineer.

So, I was looking for a complete home automation system, but will invest in another brand.

So long, and thanks for all the phish!

Options
2022-10-19 00:07:11 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

I have not tried it but this app combines both Tp-link (Kasa & Tapo);

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/watt-for-smart-devices/id1465004830?l=fr

Let us know if someone has tested it. 

Thanks

Options
2022-10-19 03:31:56 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@PHATMartz Thank you, but that doesn't address 70% of the smartphone market who uses Android, like me. Though it would still be preferred if tp-link simply integrated both of their lines into one app. Their strategy is not working. My tp-link devices are still working and that's great but I've found a better camera anyway and I would suggest to all followers of this thread and in need of a tp-link replacement to check out the Wyze Cam Pan V2. Nice app, no SD cards, free cloud recordings for 14-days and very reasonably priced.

I wouldn't have needed to look elsewhere if you weren't greedy and obtuse, tp-link, but thanks for forcing me into it. I've found a better camera. Cheers!

Options
2022-10-25 16:34:33 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch 

Chiming in just to add my voice to the chorus of cutsomers who are leaving TP Link for another ecosystem due to the abandonment of the Kasa line. True, they haven't abandoned Kasa (yet) but creating a new line that is incompatible with the old line is effective abandonment.

I will not stay part of an ecosystem that churns its customers every few years. Great business decision TP Link!

Options

Voters 34

+ 30 Voters