Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

Votes

Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

107 Reply
Re:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2022-10-26 02:34:03 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@dangramm

They just updated the Kasa APP,  that's probably a sign of keeping Kasa line. But I do hope they can bring the two applications together one day. 

Options
2022-10-27 21:39:45 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Brook 

Is there any news about unite the two apps?

Can you tell me what the status is?

Options
2022-11-18 07:47:33 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

I second what several of you already said: this doesn't make sense and to add to that, from our customer standpoint such decisions don't promote customer satisfaction and will probably not foster customer fidelity to the TP-Link company.

I tend to think that the "Tapo" product line is just a revamping of the former TP-Link products such as the smartplugs which likely are nothing more than a repackaging of the former ones (HS100 --> P100, HS110 --> P110) where the product use the same protocols but have different product IDs. It is likely that this separation between TP-Link (old product line) and Tapo is just for marketing purpose and a way to lead customers like us to renew our devices and buy again products from the new product line. Money money.

As for the 2 applications, a company such as TP-Link can't objectively say that it isn't possible to have all their product managed in a single application. If they do, then it would be an information that they don't have control over their own products which would be unrealistic or concerning. It is absolutely technically possible, everything is just about communication protocols.

The creation of the Tapo product-line along with a Tapo exclusively dedicated app (former TP-Link products not supported) leads me assume that the Kasa application might be (sooner than later) no more maintained and probably, in the up-coming iOS and Android major releases, no new version of Kasa would be deployed making us to migrate to Tapo product line (and expense more).

Options
2022-12-14 10:54:20 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

Just received a Tapo lightstrip.

The Tapo app seems to have much less functionality than shown in the Kasa app.

"scenes" would be great so i can voice control the lightstrip with different effects.

TP-Link, you should only have 1 product line, or market clearly as "budget" and "premium". I will definitely be avoiding any future TP Link products as its just not clear at all what im gonna get.

Options
RE:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2023-01-19 21:23:36
Agree fully
Options
2023-01-19 21:23:40
Agree fully
Options
2023-02-06 00:59:11
This would signifantly improve the attractiveness of the TP-Link smart home line allowing for more sales! Please implement as soon as possible.
Options
2023-02-08 04:55:56

Is there any update from the TP-link developers if this is in active development?

At the moment in Australia it's very challenging to find any Kasa cameras to purchase. I would be happy to purchase Tapo cameras with the knowledge that in the medium term they would be viewable in the same app as my Kasa cameras.

Options
2023-02-12 03:45:39

@AdamG0000 

Glad I found this thread before investing in a bunch of Tapo devices. Was eyeballing the Tapo cameras and a Kasa doorbell, but will now definitely buy elsewhere. Might even ditch my trusty Deco M9+ for a Netgear or Linksys Wifi6 system.

Options
2023-02-16 02:44:17
One app and interoperability between product lines. eg, I'd like to buy a Tapo Humidity Sensor and be able to control a Kasa Smart Plug based on the readings.
Options

Voters 34

+ 30 Voters