Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
46 Reply
Re:Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!
2020-01-22 19:57:40

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you.

So after buying a new camera,  we have 30 days premium, then 2 years (maximum for free plan) before we must pay for Kasa Care?

Os that correct?

Can you please explain what will happen if you reach 2 years and cannot afford to pay for any plan?

What can we then do with the Camera's after this time is up, if we don't pay for plan.

Thank you.

Options
Re:Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!
2020-01-25 13:32:43

@SnaffyNoo 

Can you please clarify this for me, and many other here.

When we register a new Kasa Camera we get 30 days free premium?

Then after 30 days we get moved to the free plan?

(Which I think is 2 days or alert recordings for the KC120)

Then what happens after 1 or 2 years time.

Can you please clarify this?

For example. If someone buys and registers a brand new KC120 and pays nothing more for any cloud service.

What exactly happens?

Thank you.

Options
2020-01-27 20:29:45

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you.

One question.

What happens after 2 years if you do not pay for any plan?

Does the camera stop working?

What happens?

What can you still do?

Thank you.,

Options
2020-03-09 06:00:21

@SnaffyNoo 

Hello,

After the free period, you will still have the live view and notification as free features. If you want to use cloud storage, then you need to subscribe to one of the paid plans.

If you buy a new KC120, you can use the 30 days premium plan until the KASA care launched, the free plan counts since you connect the camera to the cloud, if the kasa care come out 1 year later, your 30 days premium plan will stop, the free plan will have 1 year left.

Good day.

Options
2020-06-07 14:53:20 - last edited 2020-06-07 15:54:28

I'm sorry but this is clearly NOT what is on the packaging of cameras that have been bought in the last year and that are still being sold. Many, many people have bought cameras recently expecting 2 years of free cloud service of up to 2 days of cloud storage, camera model dependant. As you will see from my thread TP-Link are going back on this. I've had 10 months with 3 cameras, other have bought them in April 2020 and now have to pay.

Poor, poor, poor.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/211046

This is very cynical on the part of TP-Link. I'll only be happy with subscription options you also support Apple Homekit Secure Video. Fat chance.

Options
2020-06-07 15:05:03
I have an email to notify me that the premium subscription to Kasa Care expires on 4th of July. So the two years / free premium until we work something out model gave me just over six months. So is there an RTSP stream or are these things going to become junk soon?
Options
2020-06-07 15:13:19
My guess is we have all been screwed over with the T&Cs on the cameras. They clearly had the beta service in place for sometime before deciding what to do. Now, the cynical side of me says they wanted to get as many people onboard as they could and then shut the door(!) but I could just be bitter and twisted. I appreciate they flatly refuse to embrace Homekit but are fine with Alexa, etc but I was well aware of that before buying and was prepared for a 2 year journey before I jumped ship to another product, which is now likely to be a Homekit Secure Video supported solution as I already have iCloud storage. I may also just go back to my old Ring battery camera/spotlight. The video quality is not as good but it's only £24.99 a year for the subs.
Options
2020-06-07 16:35:38

Funnily enough I've been meaning to post, having started to recieve emails from TPLink over the past few days.

I have One KC100 and Five KC210 cameras all bought mid/late last year which I bought on the basis of the 2 year deal, as they were/are a LOT more expensive than many other 1080p webcams, £70 ish vs £25 ish you can get other for.

But I paid the extra as I liked TP Link and it was the same app as the smart sockets I also bought from them, and more important I knew, whilst they were quite a bit more expensive, I had 2 years of use guaranteed before being expected to pay extra.

Just in the past few days I've started to recieve "Sorry is it somethung we've done" emails about stopping some benefits I had, and wishing me to pay now.

Not sure what happened about the 2 years.

Can anyone lay ot out simply for me to understand:

What DID I get, and was supposed to get for 2 years with my many KC210 cameras.

And what am I going to get NOW after this change without being expected to pay more.

If It's a lot worse, I think we could be able to return them for a full refund. Not take our money on the basis of a deal, and then backtrack on the deal.

That's not fair and MASSIVLY damages the brans and customer relations if they are not abiding by their original promise to us when we bought the cameras

Options
2020-06-07 16:57:21 - last edited 2020-06-07 16:58:35

I don't think its 100% clear exactly what will happen after 4th July and what we will end up with but here is my understanding and views:

* We all bought on the basis that we would receive 2 years with some form of cloud storage.

* Premium was in beta and the 2 years would include the premium beta until live

* Once live we should receive the remainder of the 2 years with their advertised free service which, dependent on the camera model purchased, could mean up to 2 days cloud storage. 1 day for my 2 x KC100 models.

* All the above is still in their T&Cs which I have linked it in my own thread by the way.

* It looks like they have changed their free service offering to basically be live streaming and alerts only. No cloud storage.

* All current documentation and marketing has been changed to reflect the change but there is nothing at all about the lack of any cloud storage without subscription. Amazon are still selling the KC200 on behalf of TP-Link with the packaging clearly showing free cloud storage for 2 years. Also documented in my thread.

* Now the premium beta has finished we are all returning to the free service, but as the free service has changed we are not returning to what we originally signed up for.

* My understanding and personal expectation is that as of 4th July all cameras not covered by a premium plan will revert to the current (but not previously advertised) free service and thus have no cloud storage what so ever.

* Once the 2 years of free service is up the cameras will be rendered useless unless a premium service is subscribed to. This is as expected from old T&Cs.

* The 2 years free service, then termination is not mentioned in any marketing so can only assume free service continues ad infinitum as its basically useless.

So in summary the only thing that appears to have changed is the T&Cs for the free service and the lack of mentioning the 2 year period.

Obviously this is extremely disappointing and frustrating.

Options
2020-06-07 17:08:50

@Radar1968 

Thanks for that, and have seen your thread :)

I had a look also.

So it seems that, let's say with a KC120, everything will carry on, as before, but with just 2 days of cloud storage (less for cheaper models)

After the 2 years from date of purchase, which we signed up for, when buying our cameras, 

If we don't pay for a subscription, then our cameras will end up on the latest free service, which has zero cloud storage whatsoever?

Have I got this right?

Options